Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Next gen?
(29-Jun-2017, 21:20)kmjy Wrote: As much as it makes absolutely no sense to do, I would love to see what Devialet could accomplish with their own subwoofer, separate to the Phantom that can be paired to them. Considering what they've done within Phantom with woofer design and execution I can imagine some incredible things with a stand alone subwoofer.

But I think the most appealing for a broader range of customers, and to now work on the opposite end of the spectrum would be a smaller Phantom, below the White. Without sacrificing anything that makes the Phantom great.

For me the Gold is all I could ever need, so personally I wouldn't be fussed if they did or didn't do a next level above the Gold. But if they want to grow their consumer base, a mini Phantom would be a good start. I don't think I'd ever buy it though as I like the current.
I'm a Silver owner i don't consider the Gold one good enough to make a perfect addition or good upgrade to my audio setup...
(05-Jul-2017, 17:48)daibaron Wrote: I'm a Silver owner i don't consider the Gold one good enough to make a perfect addition or good upgrade to my audio setup...

Can you elaborate a bit on that? I found the upgrade quite significant, although must admit that I was not expecting it so dramatically. My feeling is that Devialet could make the Silver Phantoms sound better. Specifically in the midtones, where nothing has changed hw wise, except electronics (ASIC).
(05-Jul-2017, 19:33)streamy Wrote:
(05-Jul-2017, 17:48)daibaron Wrote: I'm a Silver owner i don't consider the Gold one good enough to make a perfect addition or good upgrade to my audio setup...

Can you elaborate a bit on that? I found the upgrade quite significant, although must admit that I was not expecting it so dramatically. My feeling is that Devialet could make the Silver Phantoms sound better. Specifically in the midtones, where nothing has changed hw wise, except electronics (ASIC).

I feel the same. They could really just put out a firmware update that's tweaked the mid range a little. As far as I also know, the mid range driver is the same in the Golds as in the Silver and White. So I'm sure they could put a bit more out of it.

I also think the Gold is a significant upgrade. To me the soundstage of a single Gold is actually incredible. In my listening space it can pass as Stereo. 
Everything sounds much wider, distinct, and real.
Devialet Phantom (White)
I sold my two Phantom Silver in the spring and bought one Gold. Saving up for the second one and I like sound much more of the Gold.
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
What I'd like to see:

Phantom Platinum - Aluminium Woofer, Titanium Mid, Beryllium Tweeter

Phantom Diamond - Titanium Woofer (±12"), Beryllium Mid, Beryllium Tweeter (±Diamond coating)

Phantom Woofer - 12"? 14"?

Phantom Mini/Micro - Half/Quarter size & output, Aluminium drivers, €1000/€500 possible?

Finishes - Metallic and Piano Black and perhaps real wood, and more attractive coordinated stands for all. 

Improved time alignment, frequency response, etc.

The gestalt is obviously very pleasing even now, and I might need to do some more careful listening, but I feel like there is still substantial room for improvement given the design can bear the strain. And even commercially, with similar quality and a little more choice in finish,  I can see half and quarter Phantoms absolutely dominating the quality desktop and portable markets from nothing.
can you guys elaborate on the difference between the a stereo setup of white phantoms vs gold? I have the opportunity to upgrade but am unsure if i will benefit significantly. if it helps, i use the phantoms for spotify streaming and tv/movies
Silver to Gold - hands down, Gold is better for me due to better resolution which makes the music much more 'real' or 'live'.
(28-Jul-2017, 02:24)cyrus.b Wrote: can you guys elaborate on the difference between the a stereo setup of white phantoms vs gold?  I have the opportunity to upgrade but am unsure if i will benefit significantly.  if it helps, i use the phantoms for spotify streaming and tv/movies

100% worthwhile upgrade. The Golds are a considerable upgrade in terms of dynamics, resolution, bass response and power, imaging and soundstaging, and overall realness. They are really and truly a step up.

I personally find the Golds to produce a much bigger soundstage that is a lot more accurate and believable.
Devialet Phantom (White)
(28-Jul-2017, 04:36)kmjy Wrote:
(28-Jul-2017, 02:24)cyrus.b Wrote: can you guys elaborate on the difference between the a stereo setup of white phantoms vs gold?  I have the opportunity to upgrade but am unsure if i will benefit significantly.  if it helps, i use the phantoms for spotify streaming and tv/movies

100% worthwhile upgrade. The Golds are a considerable upgrade in terms of dynamics, resolution, bass response and power, imaging and soundstaging, and overall realness. They are really and truly a step up.

I personally find the Golds to produce a much bigger soundstage that is a lot more accurate and believable.

+1
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage