Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom 1 108 Db, Toslink dropout
When I connect my Phantom1 to my TV via SPdif/Toslink (left speaker), there is often a dropout of the other speaker (right side) of a few milliseconds to many seconds. Is this a knows issue? It seems like the speakers cannot reach each other.
Both speakers are on the same WiFi network.

I've tried connecting the two speakers with an ethernet cable and then rebooting. That doesn't work at all.
I've not seen this issue - have you tried increasing the latency to see if this makes it more stable?
(15-May-2023, 09:23)booshtukka Wrote: I've not seen this issue - have you tried increasing the latency to see if this makes it more stable?

To be clear.... there is a optical toslink cable going into both the right and left Phantoms? If not, you will need a splitter that will send the right channel to the right Phantom, and visca versa.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
(15-May-2023, 23:56)supaDean Wrote:
(15-May-2023, 09:23)booshtukka Wrote: I've not seen this issue - have you tried increasing the latency to see if this makes it more stable?

To be clear.... there is a optical toslink cable going into both the right and left Phantoms? If not, you will need a splitter that will send the right channel to the right Phantom, and visca versa.
Actually, that's only correct if the speakers are in optical direct mode. Otherwise connecting the optical source to one of the speakers is sufficient. The speakers will figure out the channel distribution themselves.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(16-May-2023, 06:39)ragwo Wrote:
(15-May-2023, 23:56)supaDean Wrote:

Actually, that's only correct if the speakers are in optical direct mode. Otherwise connecting the optical source to one of the speakers is sufficient. The speakers will figure out the channel distribution themselves.

Yes , of course. You are correct. I'm wondering if direct optical would eliminate the latency issue he's experiecing via toslink to the one Phantom.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
I believe he has drop outs, not latency issues. At least that's what he's writing. Increasing the latency in the app will increase the buffer for the speakers, and maybe fix his problems. But then he would probably have lipsync issues. Hard wiring the speakers will probably get rid of the problem, but that could be difficult if the router isn't nearby. @Eric58 Do you have the same issue using other streaming methods, i.e. Spotify Connect or Bluetooth?
My Phantom Voyage
(17-May-2023, 20:35)ragwo Wrote: I believe he has drop outs, not latency issues. At least that's what he's writing. Increasing the latency in the app will increase the buffer for the speakers, and maybe fix his problems. But then he would probably have lipsync issues. Hard wiring the speakers will probably get rid of the problem, but that could be difficult if the router isn't nearby. @Eric58 Do you have the same issue using other streaming methods, i.e. Spotify Connect or Bluetooth?

I sorted my drop-outs (not as bad as this case) by using an ethernet cable directly between my phantoms.

No drop-out issue after that.
(18-May-2023, 08:29)Deezel Wrote:
(17-May-2023, 20:35)ragwo Wrote: I believe he has drop outs, not latency issues. At least that's what he's writing. Increasing the latency in the app will increase the buffer for the speakers, and maybe fix his problems. But then he would probably have lipsync issues. Hard wiring the speakers will probably get rid of the problem, but that could be difficult if the router isn't nearby. @Eric58 Do you have the same issue using other streaming methods, i.e. Spotify Connect or Bluetooth?

I sorted my drop-outs (not as bad as this case) by using an ethernet cable directly between my phantoms.

"ethernet cable directly between my phantoms"
Interesting idea, I haven't read a hint from Devialet about this possibility anywhere.
(21-May-2023, 06:33)NichtCheck Wrote:
(18-May-2023, 08:29)Deezel Wrote:

Interesting idea, I haven't read a hint from Devialet about this possibility anywhere.
It's documented for Phantom II, but it's also working for Phantom I. I believe I've seen a changelog somewhere mentioning it.
My Phantom Voyage
(21-May-2023, 11:04)ragwo Wrote:
(21-May-2023, 06:33)NichtCheck Wrote:
(18-May-2023, 08:29)Deezel Wrote: I sorted my drop-outs (not as bad as this case) by using an ethernet cable directly between my phantoms.

It's documented for Phantom II, but it's also working for Phantom I. I believe I've seen a changelog somewhere mentioning it.

Yeah, it was kind of unclear I must say. I just went ahead and tested it and my problem was sorted. Been running like that for about I year I think, don't remember exactly when I did it.