Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom On Speaker Stands!
The Extrema bring back fond memories. I ran a pair for a few years, but a long time ago now.
My guess is that the Phantoms are less coloured and go deeper, so it will depend on taste which is preferred...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

f1eng, you are spot on. The Phantom goes deeper, plays louder, is more linear in the frequency response, easier to set up, doesn't need a nuclear power plant to sing and takes up less space in the living room than Extrema, but I still prefer the Extremas Smile In the near future the scariest thing for a stereo arrives in my home, a toddler. That's why I've decided to sell my ampifiers to finance the Phantoms, put the SF Extremas in safe storage and use the Phantoms in my living room until the kids are old enough to understand that woofers and tweeters not are meant to be poked, the volume knob should not be turned to 11 and then ripped off, and porridge does certainly not belong in the internals of an amplifier Big Grin
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(17-Jul-2015, 18:40)ragwo Wrote: f1eng, you are spot on. The Phantom goes deeper, plays louder, is more linear in the frequency response, easier to set up, doesn't need a nuclear power plant to sing and takes up less space in the living room than Extrema, but I still prefer the Extremas Smile In the near future the scariest thing for a stereo arrives in my home, a toddler. That's why I've decided to sell my ampifiers to finance the Phantoms, put the SF Extremas in safe storage and use the Phantoms in my living room until the kids are old enough to understand that woofers and tweeters not are meant to be poked, the volume knob should not be turned to 11 and then ripped off, and porridge does certainly not belong in the internals of an amplifier Big Grin

Wise man!
Our 4 children are between 33 and 38 years old but we have frequent visits from grandchildren. I am slightly worried about the Phantoms being knocked off their stands before I get the ones that lock on.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(17-Jul-2015, 19:17)f1eng Wrote:
(17-Jul-2015, 18:40)ragwo Wrote: f1eng, you are spot on. The Phantom goes deeper, plays louder, is more linear in the frequency response, easier to set up, doesn't need a nuclear power plant to sing and takes up less space in the living room than Extrema, but I still prefer the Extremas Smile In the near future the scariest thing for a stereo arrives in my home, a toddler. That's why I've decided to sell my ampifiers to finance the Phantoms, put the SF Extremas in safe storage and use the Phantoms in my living room until the kids are old enough to understand that woofers and tweeters not are meant to be poked, the volume knob should not be turned to 11 and then ripped off, and porridge does certainly not belong in the internals of an amplifier Big Grin

Wise man!
Our 4 children are between 33 and 38 years old but we have frequent visits from grandchildren. I am slightly worried about the Phantoms being knocked off their stands before I get the ones that lock on.

Do you mean Branch or something else?

Thanks.
(17-Jul-2015, 09:22)Paul @ HiFi Lounge Wrote: Hi All,

I just thought I would pass on something quite interesting that we found yesterday when dem'ing a silver Phantom Stereo Pair, basically our customer, hello Paul, wanted to compare a 200 with his Elac speakers against a stereo Phantom pair. We put the Phantoms on a very solid wooden HiFi Rack and the speakers on some PMC Twenty Speaker stands, initially the 200 with the Elacs sounded more open and airy with the Phantom's sounding richer, fuller and more weighty but lacking some detail, space and finesse.

Then we swapped over and put the speakers on the rack and the Phantom's on the speaker stands, Wow what a difference, all of a sudden the Phantoms came alive with a far more open soundstage, more detail, better separation whilst keeping the overall weight and drive to the sound, it really wasn't a subtle change, and I thought Stereo Phantoms were good before :-) If you've got a stereo pair of Phantoms and they are not on stands I would definitely recommend you give it a try if you have a couple of stands knocking about.

Looks like the Branch can't come quick enough.

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi, and thanks.

Have you thought of testing different height; material stands, for the Phantoms?

It would be great to know what works best for Phantom, and compare that to the specs of Branch.

Thanks.
(18-Jul-2015, 01:14)Dvlt PhD Wrote:
(17-Jul-2015, 19:17)f1eng Wrote:

Wise man!

Do you mean Branch or something else?

Thanks.

The branch
Oxfordshire

(17-Jul-2015, 19:17)f1eng Wrote: I am slightly worried about the Phantoms being knocked off their stands before I get the ones that lock on.

I added brackets to my Phantoms' stands for the same reason.

Except that it was due to cats, not children.
I tested my silver Phantoms with four pairs of stands.

I found out that they completely ignore the material of the stands. They sound exactly the same if they are put on top of a fragile glass stand or a heavy wooden stand as long as the stands don't 'sing' themselves.

But I had to find out that they do not play very well on top of stands with standard height of about 80cms. My guess is that this is due to the fact that mid and treble drivers are tilted upwards. They play best on my pair of 60cm stands that usually are too low for standard speakers.

And as every other speaker they like space. Place them at least 50cm away from the back wall to get a precise bass performance. Grant them a meter and they will thank you with even more stable bass performance.

I also found out that turning them in in a way that the sweetspot is a little behind the listener gives the best soundstage. A superb soundstage I have to add.
I tilt my stands forward slightly to lower the 'aim' of the Phantoms.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
It's good to see that we weren't imagining the difference and many others have heard the same :-)

I have just ordered the below to use with our Phantoms for our Devialet Open Day this weekend, hopefully they will do the trick.

http://customdesign.co.uk/Speaker-Stands...able-Stand