Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Phantom Premiere and Dante
(30-Jan-2021, 10:33)Lee inseok Wrote: Thank you very much.
In fact, it was difficult to receive accurate information because there were few users using Dante equipment in Korea.
It was very helpful.
Right now, I am configuring using 3 Gold, 2 Silver and ADC, and I will try to configure the system using DANTE soon after hearing your advice.

That's going to sound amazing.  Do share pictures when you have it up and running.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(12-Aug-2019, 18:21)njaiswal Wrote:
(12-Aug-2019, 01:35)romgmz Wrote:
(23-Jul-2019, 18:42)ogs Wrote: $300 a piece! That is a hefty price... but if the sound is good it is worth it I guess. You finally have a proper MCH system with Phantoms.

Hi, did you buy them directly from audinate or Devialet? Is there any latency on the sound that you notice? ( to be used with movies )

Thank you!

Rom
I bought the dongles form an AV integrator that works with Devialet for large installations (http://www.sensoriumavr.com/).  I found them before Devialet recommended them through a CEPro article describing their installation at a mansion in NY.

@njaiswal Thanks for the info. I just ordered a set of these from senoriumavr.  I will be using them with the JBL SDP-55.
(09-Feb-2021, 06:13)mingfang Wrote:
(12-Aug-2019, 01:35)romgmz Wrote: Hi, did you buy them directly from audinate or Devialet? Is there any latency on the sound that you notice? ( to be used with movies )

Thank you!

Rom
I bought the dongles form an AV integrator that works with Devialet for large installations (http://www.sensoriumavr.com/).  I found them before Devialet recommended them through a CEPro article describing their installation at a mansion in NY.

@njaiswal Thanks for the info. I just ordered a set of these from senoriumavr.  I will be using them with the JBL SDP-55.

@mingfang I’d really appreciate if you can post your results with the JBL SDP-55! I’m thinking about going the Dante road and the JBL SDP-55 is interesting.
(12-Aug-2019, 01:35)romgmz Wrote: Hi, did you buy them directly from audinate or Devialet? Is there any latency on the sound that you notice? ( to be used with movies )

Thank you!

Rom

OMG!  You have to tell us how it works! I'm dying to get one but am hesitating because of the issues I've been reading about on avsforums (https://www.avsforum.com/threads/jbl-syn...8/page-213)  There seems to be an ongoing concern about Dante not working...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
I received the three Dante dongles I ordered today.
They are physically beautiful.
They are made of solid metal and are tiny.
And for $300 each they are a bargain compared to the brands.

For testing I ran Audinate Dante Via Mac to send music to my Reactor 900.
Compared to my old setup of AV Receive -> ADC -> Toslink -> Reactor, there is almost no idle noise.
I used to hear a hiss with volume around 70. Now there's only a slight hint of noise at 100. Amazing.
Also there's zero delay from when I press play to when I hear music. Unlike Airplay which has a 1-2 sec delay.

My JBL SDP-55 is arriving tomorrow and I will report back this weekend.
(10-Feb-2021, 03:46)njaiswal Wrote:
(12-Aug-2019, 18:21)njaiswal Wrote: I bought the dongles form an AV integrator that works with Devialet for large installations (http://www.sensoriumavr.com/).  I found them before Devialet recommended them through a CEPro article describing their installation at a mansion in NY.

OMG!  You have to tell us how it works! I'm dying to get one but am hesitating because of the issues I've been reading about on avsforums (https://www.avsforum.com/threads/jbl-syn...8/page-213)  There seems to be an ongoing concern about Dante not working...

I received my JBL SDP-55 yesterday and played with it all night.
The good: Dante is amazing. It was easy to setup and works well.
The bad: Everything on the forum above is true, even with the latest firmware.
The ugly: Many times the remote just doesn't work. Sometimes I can't turn the unit on and when on sometimes some keys just don't register why other keys remain functional. This is inexcusable.

It is unusable at this point.
I don't recommend it.
(13-Feb-2021, 17:27)mingfang Wrote:
(10-Feb-2021, 03:46)njaiswal Wrote:
(09-Feb-2021, 06:13)mingfang Wrote: @njaiswal Thanks for the info. I just ordered a set of these from senoriumavr.  I will be using them with the JBL SDP-55.

The ugly: Many times the remote just doesn't work. Sometimes I can't turn the unit on and when on sometimes some keys just don't register why other keys remain functional. This is inexcusable.

I don't recommend it.

I just read this post https://www.avsforum.com/threads/jbl-syn...t-59623532 and learn that the remote behavior is a feature. It's a bad feature but the remote does work after pressing the "Amp" button each time I switch input.
I will now attempt to integrate it to my system.
(13-Feb-2021, 21:09)mingfang Wrote:
(13-Feb-2021, 17:27)mingfang Wrote:
(10-Feb-2021, 03:46)njaiswal Wrote: OMG!  You have to tell us how it works! I'm dying to get one but am hesitating because of the issues I've been reading about on avsforums (https://www.avsforum.com/threads/jbl-syn...8/page-213)  There seems to be an ongoing concern about Dante not working...

I don't recommend it.

I just read this post https://www.avsforum.com/threads/jbl-syn...t-59623532 and learn that the remote behavior is a feature. It's a bad feature but the remote does work after pressing the "Amp" button each time I switch input.
I will now attempt to integrate it to my system.

Good news. My systems is now working. 

Setup

Inputs: Apple TV - 2160p60, Fios TV One - 2160p30 + Passthrough audio setting
Output: LG HU85LA projector
Fronts: SDP-55 -> Devialet Dante adapter -> Devialet Silver in Optical Direct mode , 1 ms latency
Center: SDP-55 -> Devialet Dante adapter - > Devialet Reactor 900, 60 ms latency

Firmware
- SDP-55 v1.44, Dante v1.2
- Devialet Silver and Reactor v2.12.3

Minor Problems

- When watching Apple TV the screen blacks out once a while for a second.  Doesn't happen often but still annoying
- Fios TV One does not work with the default 2160p60 setting.

Major Problems

- Dolby Atmos  content starts with static noise.  The noise goes away after about 2 seconds and audio is fine afterwards.
- Bluetooth and Airplay via the NET input on SDP-55 does not route any audio over Dante.
- The Amp button "feature" of the remote. 

Future
- fix center latency by replacing with Reactor 900 Custom with direct Dante support
- add Audinate Dante to XLR adapter to subwoofer
- add Dante amplifier to pre-wired surrounds

I now recommend the JBL SDP-55 if you really want Dante. 
@mingfang Hi! Were you able to test out Dirac? Did it provide an improvement? How are the tone controls? Are you able to tune the system?
(17-Feb-2021, 13:02)njaiswal Wrote: @mingfang Hi!  Were you able to test out Dirac?  Did it provide an improvement?  How are the tone controls?  Are you able to tune the system?

I just did a quick run of DirecLive 3. I did encounter a few hiccups but it eventually worked and I got good results.

Here is my updated setup.
Fronts: SDP-55 -> Devialet Dante adapter -> Devialet Silver in Optical Direct mode , 1 ms latency
Center: SDP-55 -> Devialet Dante adapter - > Devialet Reactor 900, 60 ms latency Reactor 900 Custom w/Built-in Dante, 1 ms latency
Sub: SDP-55 -> Audinate Dante to XLR adapter -> MartinLogan Descent-i subwoofer

Calibration:
1-Connect the included USB calibration mic to my MacBook
2-Upon openning the DirecLive app, it will discover the JBL SDP-55 on the network
3-The first screen in the guided process is to adjust the volume of each speaker to about the same level
4-Then you choose between focused or diffused center.  I picked diffused for family viewing
5-Then it guides you to measure up to 17 positions, it plays a calibration tone cycling to each speaker.
    I did it for the first 3 positions(center, left, right) and opted to skipped the rest.
6-The measured results are displayed in a graph and I think you can adjust by dragging the line of the graph.  I left it alone.
7-Finally you save the results to any of the 3 slots on the JBL SDP-55. 
   This step was not smooth.  The SDP-55 appears to freeze/lock up with the status of "saving" or "exiting" from the Direc mode.
   I had to physically power cycle the SDP-55 and then it worked.
8-To use the Direc results, you have to navigate to the each input on the SDP-55's web interface and choose the slot you saved in step #7
9-When Direc is active, you can't change the speaker type(large vs small). 
   But you can still adjust each speaker's distance and volume.

The result is good. I toggle Direc on and off to hear the difference and it is better with it on.