Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom abominations
lows and highs ok, mids still need work
Upper mids, maybe could be a bit airier. I don't find them harsh at all though. My other system are Geithain speakers designed for professional monitoring and I think the phantoms are a bit more forgiving even if they lack the last degreen of resolution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(17-Oct-2015, 20:33)davidadamson Wrote: Goldmund amp, lots of cables!, Quad electrostatic speakers, Naim unitiserve

Mahalo for the info.

A friend has 2805s, and he thinks the D200 is the best amp he's ever heard on them.
(17-Oct-2015, 23:29)Pyesgrey Wrote:
(17-Oct-2015, 22:31)davidadamson Wrote: They made my high-end redundant with a much cleaner setup, no expensive speaker, rca, digital cables.
Just curious... Do you think Phantom's mids and highs are in the same league as the Quad ones?... Don't you find them harsh in comparison?... Phantoms haven't convinced me on that level yet... still wondering if it's a problem with the recordings or with Phantom's mids and tweeters, but I will continue my investigation tomorrow... Wink

Try the dialog and phantoms directly with Hi-res sreaming from qobuz!
That sounds much better than using sonos connect etc etc
Ok, I will! I'm almost ending my 1 month free trial of Tidal, so, instead of using now my 3 month free Tidal I will postpone it and give it a try at Qobuz 1 month free trial... Thanks!
For me qobuz sounds the best Then tidal en Deezer at last
(17-Oct-2015, 17:00)davidadamson Wrote: I think the fact that many phantom owners are ditching there high end systems (including myself) is worry for all manufacturers of separates.

Really?  I must be doing something wrong with the Silver Phantom I recently purchased as I would never consider getting rid of my 2-channel system for the Phantom.  Yes, the Phantom can produce high decibel output levels, but the sound quality isn't dramatically better than my Altec Lansing InMotion portable speaker that I've owned for about 10 years.  Aren't we supposed to be concerned about sound quality and not how loud a system can play?

I don't know how Devialet measures bass frequency, but I doubt the Phantom goes as low as the 16HZ at 82db as Devialet advertises.  I guarentee you that the JBL system in my Toyota Highlander sounds better than the Phantom and the JBL system has 825 watts, not 3,000 watts. 

I'm not a Devialet hater as I own a pair of D200s to use as a dual mono 400 watt per channel system with it's built-in DAC, pre-amp & phono stage  for my main listening room's 2-channel system and it's the beats system components costing 5 times as much.
16hz, 82 dB at 1 meter is quite possible. The peak effect is 3kW, not RMS. The reviewer at hifi.nl claims that the amplification is about 4x190 W, not mentioning if he's talking about the White or Silver Phantom. That's the only RMS figure I've ever seen. The Phantoms need some burn in time to sing, the woofer suspensions are quite stiff. I totally agree with you regarding dB drag vs sound quality, the quality of the sound is the most important. I'm really satisfied with the sound quality of two Silver Phantoms. The highs might be a little grained compared to my old SF Extremas but otherwise the Phantoms supercedes the Extremas sound quality wise, if you don't count in the annoying hissing at low volumes, IMO. I have no idea how the stereo in your car sounds, but you are a really fortunate guy if it sounds better than the Phantoms.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Nothing I ever heard was as sweet in the midrange as my quads. However taken as a whole I felt the Silver phantoms performed overall better.
Better Bass, much wider sweet spot, very good highs, hood midrange. Easier to place and off the upgrade bandwagon.Mine are dead quiet no hissing.

Yep I would agree that if I was a separates manufacture, I would be worried.

I have ditched ALL my two channel stuff and haven't looked back. Yep I got rid of my Diamonds, mono-blocks and umpteenth metres of cabling. And I haven't looked back. I can honestly say I don't miss all the drama that comes with traditional hifi.

TBH, in some ways I don't think the Phantoms are suited for hi-fi enthusiasts, because for many the fiddling, swapping out components etc is all part of the drama. And who am I to say that they are wrong?

On the other hand if all you want to do is just listen to music, without any other consideration, the Phantoms are second to none. Even my wife and others have noticed the prodigious sound that comes from them.

Yet a bit of the hobbyist remains in me and my wife wants to go to next Bristol show. It's good fun, but I've stopped looking and can't see myself going to something else. Its funny really, to know that you have reached the end of the road after years of swapping out.