Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom and Ableton Live/Logic Pro
i´m pretty sure you can eliminate the delay in "optical direct mode". Its not possible to use it with a bridge.
I don´t thing a "special firmware" is out there and can solve this problem. the latency is caused by buffering for gstreamer. not for dsp itself.
(03-Jul-2018, 14:55)da2001 Wrote: i´m pretty sure you can eliminate the delay in "optical direct mode".

What is “optical direct mode” and how does it eliminate latency?

Someone else here made a convincing case once that it has very little relation to the DSP but was rather a built-in networking/synchronisation delay related to auto-switching between PLC/WiFi/Optical signals.
I think what's suggested is just a single phantom with optic cable from computer to speaker. Dunno what kinda of latency we're talking then as I haven't tried it, but kinda defeats the purpose since it's not stereo. As soon as you have dialog involved, there's latency.
The device itself has latency introduced by DSP, regardless of if the Dialog is used. This has been discussed many times.

Devialet themselves created a low latency firmware that can only be installed by Devialet, that was used in some DJing scenarios.

A direct optical connection may reduce, but will not eliminate the latency.
Is this guessing or knowledge? Devialet itself denied the exist of such a firmware.
If you know how gstreamer works, i can´t imagine that there is a solution without a direct connection.
maybe i am wrong..
Need to check it by myself if you havent before
There is a low latency firmware that can be used with Dante. How it performs without Dante I haven't heard anything about.
Edit: And that firmware isn't given out freely from what I understand.
There is a "dante to optical converter" available wich uses the mentioned "optical direct mode". Dante can´t be used by plc or wifi. Devialet support denies an exist of a special firmware. Is there anyone out there whos got that firmware or are these just rumors? would love to know..
I don't have it, but it's been mentioned many times on the forums. It could be a rumour I suppose, but it seemed plausible in the contexts that it was used.

It is known that the Phantoms introduce a minimum of 150ms of latency, even when connected directly via Optical. Devialet themselves state that here: https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...TV-Blu-ray- - "The connection between a TV and our Phantom system may result in a constant latency, up to 160ms".

This would make DJing impossible. And yet you can buy DJing accessories:

https://eu.louisvuitton.com/eng-e1/artic...e-dj-trunk

This adds credibility to the rumour, in my opinion. @da2001 is the first person I've seen question it, and this is the first time I've heard of Devialet support denying it.
Might be from this article speculations arose: https://www.cepro.com/article/devialet_w...udio_jay_z (which was discussed here -> https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet-Dante-Dongle)

Quote:“We optimized the design to bring it to the highest possible level of performance,” says Bilgore. “This is probably the first time that anyone had put 21 of these Phantom speakers inside a single house, and then treated them like a distributed audio system. So, the speakers in three of the rooms are paired with video, and there are 10 zones of audio in total. One of the zones is full surround-sound.”

Sensorium AVR creatively used the optical-only mode in the Phantom speakers that allows for complete third-party control without any internal software taking over any of the functions.

“It becomes a basic, pure chain of a speaker that has an internal amp, and an optical-input digital converter all-in-one,” remarks Bilgore. “So, you feed it optical, and whatever you feed it will come out on the other side as music. You’re no longer using Devialet or iPad controls. You have to use some other digital means of controlling volume, and getting sound optically into the speaker.”
Nice. I never read that. I don't think that's the source I'm thinking of.