Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom in a surround setup
Like many, I found this brand through the Phantom reveal. It looks absolutely perfect for my preferences.

I currently have a 7.1 setup with Genelec monitors - 8040s L/F/R, 7050 sub, 8020 surround. I love the clarity and preciseness, but as they are studio monitors the sweet spot is pretty narrow. For this reason I am pretty excited about Phantom. Perf wise it seems to be able to match (if not exceed) my Genelecs.

It says on the Phantom site that it works for home theatre. The question I have is, how would I integrate Phantoms to my 7.1 setup? Three Phantoms to replace L/F/R and Sub, and keeping the 4 x 8020s for surround back or what?
Can you imagine a center speaker with those pulsating wings? Would be off putting watching a film. Excellent for rears possibly? And how does Dialog do surround, Devialet mention this in their website, but no details?
(28-Dec-2014, 01:22)Confused Wrote: Can you imagine a center speaker with those pulsating wings? Would be off putting watching a film. Excellent for rears possibly? And how does Dialog do surround, Devialet mention this in their website, but no details?
I agree, front and a center would be distracting in a home theater setup. But surround and rear makes more sense.

And the fact that they are wireless then there will be no need to run cables from the front of the room to the back, another plus I guess
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(28-Dec-2014, 01:22)Confused Wrote: Can you imagine a center speaker with those pulsating wings? Would be off putting watching a film. Excellent for rears possibly? And how does Dialog do surround, Devialet mention this in their website, but no details?

Wait till the black version comes out and watch in a dark room Idea
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Reading the original blurb it is fairly easy to work out.

The 5.1 stream is sent to the Dialog via whichever method you choose (probably digital optical) this decodes and sends front left and right to your D*** the other channels would be sent to whatever Phantoms you had set up on the Dialog, also it would seem that Dialog would act as a conduit between many formats of Digital music and your D*** or Phantom set up. Initially via USB to the D*** system but later via other connections.

Well that's the way I read it anyway but I may be looking for the silver lining not the cloud !!!!

Nick
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Considering how little information goes through the back surround channels, having Phantoms just for back channels would be a massive waste in my opinion. Surely that can't be what they had in mind when saying Phantom can replace your home cinema - that it replaces back channels Big Grin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(29-Dec-2014, 17:17)Chittagong Wrote: Considering how little information goes through the back surround channels, having Phantoms just for back channels would be a massive waste in my opinion. Surely that can't be what they had in mind when saying Phantom can replace your home cinema - that it replaces back channels Big Grin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure its better than in my case Devialet 400 and Magico S5 (and other Members main systems) so not necessarily a waste and not that expensive !!!!!

Nick
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I wonder how this system will compensate for the latency between Picture and Sound in an A/V system? I have already discovered that it's a complete no-no to use AIR (ethernet or wifi) to stream movie sound from my media PC (a Mac Mini). The dialog is several seconds out of sync with the picture! That's why I stick to my Chord USB cable connection.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(22-Jan-2015, 14:08)JohnnySix Wrote: I wonder how this system will compensate for the latency between Picture and Sound in an A/V system? I have already discovered that it's a complete no-no to use AIR (ethernet or wifi) to stream movie sound from my media PC (a Mac Mini). The dialog is several seconds out of sync with the picture! That's why I stick to my Chord USB cable connection.

I think this is built in to the Air system to allow for drop out and WiFi problems there is a buffer of a few seconds. It shows up in the delay at the start of playing and at the end so will always be there I think.

Nick

I was thinking to replace my surround setup of Beolab 17 and Beolab 15(ceiling) with phantom speakers but the design really puts me off. There is no way I can hang these in 3 of these in front not to mention the lack of any wall or ceil brackets. If anyone manages to setup a surround system with these speakers I would love to know how it sounds and looks like.

Mihai.