Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom pioneer program
Here is Devialet support answer to the matter:

"Indeed, depending on the device, there is a more or less important delay. However we are aware of the problem and we are working hard to improve this point over future updates"

So, we can just hope it will be resolved in later updates.
From my experiments last night with Firmware 1.1.1, I'd say they have at least halved the latency. However, you don't realise how difficult it is to judge sync between picture & sound when you're adjusting by the millisecond... I must have watched the same scene from 'Daredevil' 20 times trying to see if words were coming out before/after lips moved!
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
And have you succeeded to synchronize them?
Would be great if we have some easy way to tune latency. Like an app that captures the sound and video from a sequence and calculates the latency.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
It would be great if we had no latency. Smile
I'n not sure if I have successfully synchronised... there's a good deal of psychological compensation at work under a certain number of milliseconds delay.
Case in point: I was happily watching a movie yesterday pleased as punch I'd tuned JRiver to perfection the night before (-220ms adjustment), then when I re-checked JRiver's settings it had reset to 0ms! So had my brain just adapted or does 1.1.1 have true sync?!?
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I would imagine there will always be a delay equal to the audio buffer length. It is surely needed to make sure there is never an empty buffer causing stuttering or hesitation with HD music streaming.
I rarely watch video so sync between video and audio is nowhere near as important to me as high quality gapless, hesitation free streaming of music.
OTOH if the delay becomes the same with all sources I would be happy occasionally using Phantoms for video sound too.

At the moment there is a hesitation or stuttering at the beginning of every music track I stream from my computer which is very, very annoying and makes the Phantom useless for serious music listening (of files from my computer, it has been OK with CD) so far.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Always difficult to express latency issues without getting it mixed up with classic "please wait“ buffering problems. There's no stuttering via the Phantom Optical In, just a constant 200ms offset for movie sound. Dialog Optical has a problem with 96KHz material... that just goes cuckoo after 5 mins of listening.
(28-Apr-2015, 02:00)JohnnySix Wrote: Always difficult to express latency issues without getting it mixed up with classic "please wait“ buffering problems. There's no stuttering via the Phantom Optical In, just a constant 200ms offset for movie sound. Dialog Optical In is much worse... that just goes cuckoo (after 5 mins anyway)

Yes, anything I play through the optical input on one of the Phantoms is fine, as long as Spark doesn't lose contact, which may have been resolved in the latest version.
Everything streamed wirelessly from my computers or iDevice have hesitations or complete fails.
It could very well be a network interference problem though, there are about a dozen wireless access points in range in my listening room, only 2 of them mine Sad. I have set mine to a channel nobody else seems to be using though.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

As I reported in another thread I can listen to local stored files with Spark, I did it again yesterday for a few hours without dropouts, except for loosing on one channel the first second when selecting (jumping) in the playlist. This applies for MP3 and apple lossless files as long as it is 16bit/44100. In my configuration I use ethernet connection from a MacMini (Spark 1.1.beta acesses external USB HD with the files, OSX 10.10.3) to the router and Dialog is connected with ethernet to the same router. Dialog and Phantoms have fw 1.1.1. I control Dialog with an IPad and Spark 1.1.1.
Another bug I found was that 2 times a song in the playlist (from same album as the previous) only played for 1s and then Spark jumped to the next song. I had to select the song that Spark did not play manually, then it played well. As I live rural and have only neighbours 100m away, I do not have other wifi disturbing than mine, but since I'm using ethernet between Spark that acts as server and Dialog wifi is only used by the devialet network and my Ipad that I use for controlling volume and creation of playlists. Regarding networking I use a PLC connection from my Satelite receiver to an Imac. This network does not interfere with the PLC of the Dialog and the Phantoms. I can watch HD TV and play music on the Phantoms at the same time without problems. So, after the fw update of Devialet there is improvement, but Itseems only for some or us. 24bit music seems to be a problem for all and might need changes in HW. Maybe that's why Devialet is recalling the early series of Dialogs.