Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom vs Phantom Silver
Has anyone heard the phantom AND the silver phantom?
Is there REALLY a difference?

It is said that even at low volume the SILVER PHANTOM will be a little bit better.
Is it just marketing stuff? Or theory?
In pratical, is it true? Is it possible to tell the difference?

I wonder...
One would assume that they were the same up to the point that the DSP bass management needed more than 750 watts. I certainly can not imagine why not, anyway.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

And beyond 750w, it means beyond 100% volume on a normal phantom. So very very loud...
Louder than anyone will need (in normal conditions, in a normal room), no ?
I would imagine it would only be realized in dynamic peaks, interesting if anyone could compare
(12-May-2015, 23:46)davidadamson Wrote: I would imagine it would only be realized in dynamic peaks,  interesting if anyone could compare

there is absolutely no difference below 750w. I have been demonstrated a stereo setup with a silver and a white and you could not hear any difference.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Considering the small price difference, I would rather go for Silver. More power is always good.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Yes, that's what I tought, initially.
But, I may reconsider.
If there is no difference below 750w, and if I will not go beyond 750w ever, why bother?
It's just throwing our money, no?

I plan to buy two phantoms, so more money to save...

But, I just want some feedbacks and opinions, for now.
Yeah, 600 euros more (2 phantoms). I understand the thinking. I will think about it.

How do you swap the white phantom for the silver one? With a cost?

Why "not in sound quality though"? Are you disappointed?
And why "not yet anyway"? Do you think they will improve over time?
My justification for not upgrading from 750W Phantoms is less heat to dissipate, and perhaps a lower electricity bill over the year. And a smallish living room. I do wonder though if the usual motor engine analogy still applies to Phantoms/Experts... a bigger engine often means a better sense of "ease" at all levels.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Have you been able to compare them with the silver ones?