Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inside a Phantom remote
Had a most unfortunate incident with my Phantom Remote. It went for its second meeting with the floor and didn't come off too well. 

So - I thought it would be good to see what is inside one of these very expensive remotes; and I can report.....not much!!

It did answer one question that has confused me for some time. Is it Bluetooth or RF?? I know that the argument has been put forward that it is RF as older Phantoms without Bluetooth still work with the remote.

Well guess what?!! Its actually both (I think??) !!! I'm no electronic engineer, but when I opened it up I noticed two chips, both with antennas. Looked up the two chip numbers on the web and confirmed that one is a RF module for machine to machine communications, the other is a Bluetooth module.

Now I don't know what all that means....but thought I'd post anyway out of interest sake.

I'm personally waiting for one of the many great universal remotes to finally support the Phantom (maybe via IP control) so that I can have one good looking remote to do all again.

Picture of the remote's control board attached.

(04-May-2016, 08:49)jcd1877 Wrote: Had a most unfortunate incident with my Phantom Remote. It went for its second meeting with the floor and didn't come off too well. 

So - I thought it would be good to see what is inside one of these very expensive remotes; and I can report.....not much!!

It did answer one question that has confused me for some time. Is it Bluetooth or RF?? I know that the argument has been put forward that it is RF as older Phantoms without Bluetooth still work with the remote.

Well guess what?!! Its actually both (I think??) !!! I'm no electronic engineer, but when I opened it up I noticed two chips, both with antennas. Looked up the two chip numbers on the web and confirmed that one is a RF module for machine to machine communications, the other is a Bluetooth module.

Now I don't know what all that means....but thought I'd post anyway out of interest sake.

I'm personally waiting for one of the many great universal remotes to finally support the Phantom (maybe via IP control) so that I can have one good looking remote to do all again.

Picture of the remote's control board attached.

Thanks for posting the photo.
Sorry for your loss of the day cream box, and thank you very much for the picture Smile
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage