Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raidho D2 with D1 SAM
So I finally tried out Raidho D1 SAM on my Raidho D2s with my D400 (since there is only a couple votes for the D2s...oh well). First of all, let me disclose I'm using two REL 528s. With that being said, I immediately noticed a huge bump up in bass and had to readjust sub levels and even bring town the bass tone to -3.0 on the Devialet.

Here is the interesting part....I experimented by taking SAM down to 0% and crossed my subs slightly down to 32hz and kept them at 0 phase. Even with turning SAM off and on, I still noticed a difference and actually now prefer SAM on. Can't tell the subs are there unless i turn them off. Sound is less harsh at higher volumes and seems very balanced.

Now, I'll probably be going back to the drawing board once I get my Audioprana RCA to AES/EBU connect cable to replace the stock Crystal cable.
Raidho D2
(2) REL 528s
Devialet 400 Air Ethernet
Roon Nucleus w custom power supply
QNAP NAS
PS Audio P3 Powerplant and Powerbase
Furutech GTX_D Outlet on dedicated line
JPS Labs Kaptovators to the wall

That's interesting. I've often wondered whether SAM had some sort of a bass boost in it as well as the timing correction. If what you say is true and with SAM on 0% there still is a difference then it could well be so. I'm not home to try at the moment. Does anyone else want to have a go?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hi,

I tested! 0% SAM still keep the advantage of SAM in the upper frequencies what ever SAM is said to only handle up to 150 Hz.
With my Raidho X1 the sound character with and without SAM is the same but of course with SAM everything gets more coherent. The hike in bass with SAM is welcome and to my ears does not change the 'bumb' free character I have from the X1 in the 50-120 Hz area which so many other speakers have (to my ears). Only thing to wish for would be that the lowest bass notes would stay at higher sound pressures but that would be impossible for a 4" driver I guess and magic has its limitation. Anyway at normal listening levels people ask for the subs but I just tell them that these little gems digging out 25 Hz bass notes.

Anyone buying or for that matter auditioning a pair of Raidhos make sure they have at least +1000 hours of running in as it takes that time for sure and there is plenty of ? during the break in procedure.

Foggy, how long do you estimate break in time with the D2's?

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
HI Mike,

Yes, same here on the crazy break in with the D2s. If I remember correctly, manual stated 200 hours which is way off. I didn't get improvement until 500 hours and then it seemed to have leveled off at around 1000 hours. I absolutely LOVE them now.

With regards to SAM, I've decided to keep it off. The sound just seems more natural with it off....even leaving it at 0%. Might try it again now since I upgraded the firmware to the beta 7.1.3. Was originally hoping that using D1 SAM with D2s would work. Need more D2 votes!!!!
Raidho D2
(2) REL 528s
Devialet 400 Air Ethernet
Roon Nucleus w custom power supply
QNAP NAS
PS Audio P3 Powerplant and Powerbase
Furutech GTX_D Outlet on dedicated line
JPS Labs Kaptovators to the wall

I run SAM at 10%, which still yields a clear improvement in clarity on my Magicos, which suggests that the time domain correction is working, even if the bass enhancement is dialed way down.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
It just hit me but SAM has a great advantage! It allows me to play much louder than without SAM as my bass/mid cone will be protected at all times. Without SAM I can't as I fear that my cones would come shooting out as they will move uncontrolled and start sounding distorted. With 400 W in 6 ohm I am pretty sure I would kill the speaker.
With SAM I can play 'crazy' loud without distortion albeit with reduced deep bass coverage (though that would be the issue anyway without SAM). Comparing cone movement with SAM and without at same dB is evidence enough.

I am so curios if SAM 2.0 will happen and what it would mean in SQ/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK