Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'RoonReady' not coming to Devialet….
(28-Jan-2016, 18:18)viriato0811 Wrote:
(28-Jan-2016, 17:14)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-Jan-2016, 16:46)viriato0811 Wrote: …..
Perhaps much of this info is already known but thought it could be interested to share it in this context.
…...

viriato0811

Thanks Viriato, that's really helpful, and I'm not sure that much was known - at least not in terms of it coming from a Devialet engineer.

You actually made my day, as I did really laugh out loud - not at you, you understand - but at:

Quote:...they chose the network protocol giving the best possible sound quality to the detriment of reliability

You couldn't make it up!   Angry But at least they've actually come clean, even if it was informal.

So for a re-do on a technology they invented and has ben broken for quite some time, they're still testing and don't know exactly what form its replacement will take, and 'aim' to have something to show in about 6 months on the special Devialet calendar.

Meanwhile Roon - a small startup company - released their version of Air (RAAT), along with an SDK type thingy for manufacturers to implement in their hardware - some of which have already been released - in less time, and that was just a small part of their overall 'software' development in their first year.

I got a double-whammy and laughed out load again at:

Quote:"everything is still possible…" he said.

Yup, because you still haven't got a solid solution in place!

Come on Devialet engineers - man up and just call Roon already and take their solution and be done with it!  
It's a win-win!

Smile  Confused  Rolleyes

viriato0811 you made my day, top post and thanks for reporting….

Most welcome Hifi_swlon!

Could not agree more with you that if they cannot fix AIR they should go through the Roon direction... 

By the way, I started using Roon (through AIR Undecided ) two days ago and can only confirm the praises about this software. I have to force myself to go to bed as I am re-discovering my own library in ways I would have never imagined (TIDAL integration is of great help here). I can understand now why you are so keen about Devialet doing something about it. 

Devialet, if you for whatever reason you are following up this thread, here you have another customer, owner of a D400, who would be much, much happier if you take Roon seriously and integrate this software in your development efforts.

Please file a request for it at Devialet on their site. A few did already and it is at least a way to convince Devialet to seriously consider it as they do not at the moment.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(28-Jan-2016, 18:18)viriato0811 Wrote: Most welcome Hifi_swlon!

Could not agree more with you that if they cannot fix AIR they should go through the Roon direction... 

By the way, I started using Roon (through AIR Undecided ) two days ago and can only confirm the praises about this software. I have to force myself to go to bed as I am re-discovering my own library in ways I would have never imagined (TIDAL integration is of great help here). I can understand now why you are so keen about Devialet doing something about it. 

Devialet, if you for whatever reason you are following up this thread, here you have another customer, owner of a D400, who would be much, much happier if you take Roon seriously and integrate this software in your development efforts.

Can you use Roon through AIR? 
I was under the impression you need to connect the computer to USB to use Roon. Unluckily this is not possible for me as my computer is in another room.
AIR for me is currently working fine with Ethernet connection using an older version of AIR on Mavericks, so I am wondering what are the limitations of using Roon with AIR?

thanks
M
To be honest the smart thing for Devialet to do is make a stable Air implementation it would then work with Roon along with most every other music management/player software out there. I have a feeling it's a one or the other option and going the roon direction alone would be silly except for us Roon users.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(28-Jan-2016, 20:10)marcor Wrote: Can you use Roon through AIR? 
I was under the impression you need to connect the computer to USB to use Roon. Unluckily this is not possible for me as my computer is in another room.
AIR for me is currently working fine with Ethernet connection using an older version of AIR on Mavericks, so I am wondering what are the limitations of using Roon with AIR?

Yes, you can use Roon over AIR.  However, there are some more or less serious limitations.  Firstly, you can't opt to use Exclusive mode which, I think, is intended to provide the best possible sound quality.  Secondly, the sound quality without using Exclusive mode is generally found to be quite poor.  I guess it might depend on your computer set-up, but in my case (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.10.5, AIR 2.1.3) I heard fairly frequent short drop-outs or "clicks" - quite unpleasant to listen to.  I should say that normally AIR works very well for me, so it seems to be the combination of Roon and AIR that is the problem.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(28-Jan-2016, 20:52)thumb5 Wrote:
(28-Jan-2016, 20:10)marcor Wrote: Can you use Roon through AIR? 

Yes, you can use Roon over AIR.  However, there are some more or less serious limitations.  Firstly, you can't opt to use Exclusive mode which, I think, is intended to provide the best possible sound quality.  Secondly, the sound quality without using Exclusive mode is generally found to be quite poor.  I guess it might depend on your computer set-up, but in my case (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.10.5, AIR 2.1.3) I heard fairly frequent short drop-outs or "clicks" - quite unpleasant to listen to.  I should say that normally AIR works very well for me, so it seems to be the combination of Roon and AIR that is the problem.

thanks for the explanation. This is exactly what I was fearing. I managed to get a stable system and I am scared to change anything. The last time that by mistake I upgraded AIR to the latest version I was constantly plagued by clicks and drop, it turned out that on Mavericks the latest AIR doesn't really work. As soon I have a bit more time I will try to do some test with my laptop to avoid to mess up my main system. 
thanks

Marco
Marco, I am currently using AIR over ethernet. The higher the number of changes between songs the bigger the likelihood of clicks and drops. If you play an entire album or playlist (with few changes to a different song in another album/playlist), it is highly unlikely that clicks and drops come up in my system. So what I do is create playlists in advance as much as I can. I know this is less than ideal so I am in the waiting list for any of the highly rated streamers (Aurender, Melco or TotalDac) to include Roon in their offerings.

As to sound quality, at least to my ears, AIR over ethernet is equal to if not better to my 8gb RAM MacbookAir USB connection through A+ (USB cable is a TotalDac). So I would entirely disagree that sound quality with no Exclusive Mode is generally quite poor.

Give it a try if you can and let us know...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you're using Roon on a Mac, the chances of getting a AIR to behave are slim I suspect.  I'm using Roon on a Win 10 PC and AIR does work for me in exclusive mode.  I was having occasional BSODs on the PC running AIR when AIR was in use, but that seems to have gone away since Expert firmware 9.01 (or perhaps a Win 10 update - don't know for sure).     

However, the other AIR pain-in-the-ass is just keeping AIR enabled and working.   Any change in my Devialet source - even letting it go into standby - shuts down AIR on my PC and requires a revisit to the PC running AIR to re-enable it.  It's just a cumbersome two-step dance that seems more trouble than it's worth.  But, when it works, it does sound pretty damn good.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(28-Jan-2016, 21:28)viriato0811 Wrote: Marco, I am currently using AIR over ethernet. The higher the number of changes between songs the bigger the likelihood of clicks and drops. If you play an entire album or playlist (with few changes to a different song in another album/playlist), it is highly unlikely that clicks and drops come up in my system. So what I do is create playlists in advance as much as I can. I know this is less than ideal so I am in the waiting list for any of the highly rated streamers (Aurender, Melco or TotalDac) to include Roon in their offerings.

As to sound quality, at least to my ears, AIR over ethernet is equal to if not better to my 8gb RAM MacbookAir USB connection through A+ (USB cable is a TotalDac). So I would entirely disagree that sound quality with no Exclusive Mode is generally quite poor.

Give it a try if you can and let us know...

thanks
I will give it a try as soon I have some free time. After reading all these comments about Roon I am a bit worry to get addicted without having any practical solution for using it. Wink

M
Sorry another question, if I connect a macmini to the Devialet through USB can I use Roon in Exclusive mode? Considering the cost of one streamer vs a macmini. The latter one seems the most cost effective solution if works properly.
Yes you can.