Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSU & Cover...
(11-Aug-2015, 18:07)f1eng Wrote: PMFJI but that is very hot for 8.1.3 using power management.
The principle route for evacuating heat from the circuitry of a Devialet is via thermally conductive pads to the baseplate. If you have removed the baseplate of your amp for any reason and not carefully bedded the thermal pad back onto the baseplate when refitting that would be the most likely explanation for this problem IME.
It is pointless cooling the top, since it is not in thermal contact with anything of consequence.

I get 36/34/39 on 8.1.3 on my 800 listening loud.

Thanks for the feedback f1eng.  I didn't move, or remove, any heat pads, but sounds like I may be should open it up and slightly reform them so they make firm contact and compress as I close and screw the chassis back together.  After installing the 8.1.3 I was expecting things to cool down, but now wonder if reducing the power output to 80 watts is causing it to heat up more.  I may start with that, adjusting the power up to say 150 watts and see what it does to the temps.

Thx
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
(11-Aug-2015, 20:49)Confused Wrote: The D-Premier / D250 is supposed to have superior cooling due to the design of it's (much more expensive) case.  Does anyone actually know what the difference in the case is compared to. D200?   When I discussed this with one of the Devialet engineers once, he said many things relating to transient cooling of specific components.  How does this actually work?

Any ideas?

Confused is absolutely right in that direct comparisons between D-Premier/D250 and D125/200/400 are total apples/oranges. From all I've read there was a dramatic reduction in cooling efforts, expenditures and results between the early muffin-top and current flat-top components. I believe if we have any hope of a credible temperature baseline for either machine we need to have a well thought-out and executed Q&A poll that lists all the pertinent questions and doesn't rush headlong into an over simplified what-are-your-Devialet-temps Poll, which will inevitably be meaningless and frought with ambiguity and only lead to more questions. That won't help anyone glean a clearer understanding of Devialet thermal dynamics and only foster more confusion and further questions. Truth is even between machines of same internal design & volume must take a hit temp-wise with higher power since heat/power are not mutually exclusive but rather tied together inexorably.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Kenreau said:

Good to know, thank you.  I may wait on changing out the IEC PEM to see how you manage it.  I'll only have a brief time to tinker on it over this next month.  My current notion is about the only way to do it (with a F'tech) is some means (i.e. solder, or minor bus bar like connect) of top mounting the line and neutral tangs to the top of the small power entry circuit board.  The lower ground tang should go right in the stock place.

Thx
Kenreau

Kenreau- Looks like my choice for a new unfiltered IEC has been made for me. That strip at the back of the Devialet that anchors all the binding posts, RCA's etc is only 30mm tall. The FI-33 F'tech 20A IEC requires a 29mm tall cutout so that dog's not gonna hunt! My other two 15A runner-up choices require a 27mm tall opening and that is too tall as well. All I'm left with is the F'tech FI-06 Rhodium at $28.79 or I could've ordered gold for $6.50 less but blech. The FI-06 is a 100% alpha treated copper electrodes male IEC and that's the most important thing to me especially as compared to the OEM nickel-plated brass in the Devialet. The FI-06 fits the Devialet vertical opening with a half mm to spare but I'll have to extend the opening left-to-right with a dremel 1.5mm but that's a sub-2 minute job in aluminum at most and there's tons of room for that slight additional width. I'll use 3 short crystal cable Ultra high-current pigtail leads with soldered Rhodium plated male spades at the power board connection so everything there remains quick-disconnect as it was before, minus the EMI filter. Also won't kill me having that VERY magnetically attracted OEM steel-wrapped current restricting filter fall out of the Devialet. May well be the cheapest item I've ever ordered from Furutech!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Sweet, that sounds like a great plan. If my Furutech AC-1501 IEC EMI becomes too much of a hair ball to retrofit, your idea of the unfiltered one sounds great.
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
(12-Aug-2015, 00:22)Manoet Wrote: Kenreau said:

Good to know, thank you.  I may wait on changing out the IEC PEM to see how you manage it.  I'll only have a brief time to tinker on it over this next month.  My current notion is about the only way to do it (with a F'tech) is some means (i.e. solder, or minor bus bar like connect) of top mounting the line and neutral tangs to the top of the small power entry circuit board.  The lower ground tang should go right in the stock place.

Thx
Kenreau

Kenreau- Looks like my choice for a new unfiltered IEC has been made for me. That strip at the back of the Devialet that anchors all the binding posts, RCA's etc is only 30mm tall. The FI-33 F'tech 20A IEC requires a 29mm tall cutout so that dog's not gonna hunt! My other two 15A runner-up choices require a 27mm tall opening and that is too tall as well. All I'm left with is the F'tech FI-06 Rhodium at $28.79 or I could've ordered gold for $6.50 less but blech. The FI-06 is a 100% alpha treated copper electrodes male IEC and that's the most important thing to me especially as compared to the OEM nickel-plated brass in the Devialet. The FI-06 fits the Devialet vertical opening with a half mm to spare but I'll have to extend the opening left-to-right with a dremel 1.5mm but that's a sub-2 minute job in aluminum at most and there's tons of room for that slight additional width. I'll use 3 short crystal cable Ultra high-current pigtail leads with soldered Rhodium plated male spades at the power board connection so everything there remains quick-disconnect as it was before, minus the EMI filter. Also won't kill me having that VERY magnetically attracted OEM steel-wrapped current restricting filter fall out of the Devialet. May well be the cheapest item I've ever ordered from Furutech!

Manoet,

I follow your procedure for sure and exchange for a Furutech IEC. But, when looking at the power board I can only see 'zero' and 'live', where do the ground cable go? I did not actually open mine up yet but from pictures from this forum (Toasted Power Filter Board) I can make where the ground goes.
Kindly tell what these "pigtail" leads are? I guess soldering is needed to the board.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK