Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop me from making a mistake...
All, thanks for your thoughts & feedback so far, it's greatly appreciated!

As I've mentioned at the beginning, I really have no complaints about my Devialet 200 and like SAM.  It's just that nostalgic feeling I got when I auditioned the McIntosh system.

I realize that one of Devialet's selling points is their claim that the unit is future-proof and will never become obsolete but I often wonder...

I often think of it this way, we are being told that if a new format THAT DOES NOT EXHIST or HAS EVEN BEEN THOUGHT OF TODAY will be decodable by our current unit with a firmware update. How can someone promise compatibility with something they cannot possibly know about because it has not been invented yet?  That is like saying that today’s flu shot can be modified to work against a disease that has not evolved yet or that your car can run on a future fuel that has not been invented.  Makes me wonder...

BTW, I exchanged some emails with McIntosh and apparently their units can also be upgraded via firmware but for things like bug fixes and adding some additional features that the hardware can support.
I would not keep the 200 based on their upgrades and promises, as like you I am a little cynical about this.
I would base it totally on which system I liked the best and sounded the best in my own home.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Spot on, Womaz!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I would be Leary of any statements about upgradeability. I have heard that promise for 25 years or since digital became prominent and rarely have these promises been met. The technology evolves too fast for designs.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(14-Dec-2015, 22:35)rwjr44 Wrote: The technology evolves too fast for designs.

Agreed!
I would go with my gut on this one. I completely understand your dilemma; I'm very happy with a 120, but I'm getting really fed up with AIR and have come to a conclusion that it's a hardware issue... so no fix anytime soon. On top of this, I really miss some of the aspects of tubed gear!
If AIR is a hardware issue why does mine and quite a few others using Windows 10 and AIR 8.1.3 work perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(27-Dec-2015, 09:50)NickB Wrote: If AIR is a hardware issue why does mine and quite a few others using Windows 10 and AIR 8.1.3 work perfectly.

Hi Nick,

I used to be in your camp. Never had any dramas with AIR on my Mac mini. Always thought other were doing something wrong. Then there was a software update of some sort and the dramas started. As far as I understand, AIR was initially made for Mac only and worked fine. Then there was an 'upgrade' so it would work on Windows computers too and that's when things went south. Now it seems to work on Windows 10 but not on some people's Macs. Whatever it is that causes it, it is clear that the way AIR works is very depended on the rest of the set up. Unlike USB which is just plug and play.

So my best guess is that the way AIR V2 works causes the issue and Devialet haven't been able to reliably fix it. That's a shame and I would rather Devialet acknowledge there's a problem that can't be fixed with software and change the hardware. Even if that means that I have to buy a new AIR card specifically for Mac. 

I'm not at all suggesting Devialet need to give us all a new AIR card. I'm suggesting Devialet develop an AIR system that's robust and sell us those cards. Given that the alternative to getting the sound quality of AIR from a streaming device costs quite a bit too, having to pay for a working AIR card just makes sense to me. Even though there's an argument I've already paid for it...I'd still pay again, just so I can enjoy my D200 to the fullest.

Long story short; There are too many people who can't get AIR to work reliably to suggest it's the customer's fault. So it is a hardware problem that in some cases can be patched up with software.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(27-Dec-2015, 09:50)NickB Wrote: If AIR is a hardware issue why does mine and quite a few others using Windows 10 and AIR 8.1.3 work perfectly.

Because if it was a software issue, it would've probably have been fixed already. We are not talking rocket science here.
As for why mine has it and yours doesn't... I don't know... maybe a slight manufacturing difference? Different supplier for a supposedly identical chip? Of course, Dev is trying to fix these issues via software, but no ultimate solution has been found.
Quote:Because if it was a software issue, it would've probably have been fixed already. We are not talking rocket science here.
As for why mine has it and yours doesn't... I don't know... maybe a slight manufacturing difference? Different supplier for a supposedly identical chip? Of course, Dev is trying to fix these issues via software, but no ultimate solution has been found.

No, this can't be hardware alone. Prior to Win10, AIR will cause white noises after awhile and almost impossible to play 24/192 music. Now, I can stream all music files to my Le200 without hardly a hitch. Yes, the wifi reception of Le200 is very poor, you have to place your wifi router almost next to your Expert system to get a reliable AIR-wifi signal (and reliability).
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier