Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning Off your Devialet
Hi All,

as the Devialet continuously seems to consume power to keep certain areas of the device warm (even if powered off) I was wondering whether any of you completely is taking the device off power if not used. Whilst that might increase the necessary warm up time after turning it on I would assume at the same time it would extend the lifespan of the device given its IC design.

Thoughts welcome - kind regards,
Harald
Hmmm, I thought the rule was to not shut it down, I was under the impression what reduces the lifetime is if you shut it down, let it cool off and then turn it on repeatedly, this due to the temperature differences.

The only thing to be shut down is things with motors running (in the old days tape decks)

Kind regards Morten

PS. my old system used around 90W in standby, and I newer shout it down due to the same reasons-- hence I think the Devialet is cheap to run :-)
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
I shut mine down when not in use.
(08-Jan-2016, 09:23)hahe Wrote: Hi All,

as the Devialet continuously seems to consume power to keep certain areas of the device warm (even if powered off) I was wondering whether any of you completely is taking the device off power if not used. Whilst that might increase the necessary warm up time after turning it on I would assume at the same time it would extend the lifespan of the device given its IC design.

Thoughts welcome - kind regards,
Harald

Where did you get the idea it's warm "to keep certain areas of the device warm"? I don't think this is true, Devialet says/used to say there's no thermal distortion and thus the device should sound the same cold or hot.

I think it's warm because they keep certain circuits alive that allow it to be powered back on from standby using both the software remote and physical remote and to shorten "boot up time". Of course they could have built smarter/more efficient standby circuits (e.g. relay based like in your TV) into the Devialet. Personally I can only guess why they did not do that.

I'm leaving mine in standby when not in use, as it was designed that way.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
There are a two modes of powering off. Quick press of power off button will put it on standby. Press and hold the power off button, will shut it down. You know you are in standby mode when the display is dimmed.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I am referring to the shut down powering off which still seems to keep certain areas of the device warm
@Antoine, I am afraid I dont recall the source of my statement on purposely keeping certain areas warm

Just to clarify my questions - I am neither concerned about power consumption nor shorter / longer warm up time
(irrespective whether that has any impact on sound or not)

Where I am coming from is that a friend of mine who is developing IC´s did suggest to completely take off power when not in use as any electricity flow into the device might impact its lifespan. Given that IC´s are designed for a certain lifespan that somewhat makes sense to me and I was curious about other Devialet owners thoughts as well as how this is handled

Prior to this discussion I always did power off my Devialet when not in use but never did take it off the power (and still not sure whether this has any significant impact or not)
Depending on who you ask, turning electronics off when not in use will either increase or decrease its lifespan Wink

I guess the reality is it depends on the item specifically, as each is probably different.  I know some old school amp manufacturers like Naim say leave on, which is also partly due to 'warm up time', yet others say the this simply ages the components (like capacitors) more quickly.  In server type electronics, I think they are generally left on but 'mean time between failures' are still calculated in 'on' duration, so you'd presume turning them off would be better.  But then as others have said, the 'cycling' on/off can also cause wear - allegedly.

I think the reality is only Devialet can tell us what is best for lifespan of the component, assuming they've tested thoroughly.

That said, wasted energy is an environmental curse and something we should all be aware of - billions of small standbys etc add up to an unimaginable waste - OK for us, but not so great for the generations to follow.  I can't imagine they'll be too understanding that we wanted our hifis to sound better as soon as we came home to listen, while they struggle through global warming and revert to stone age practices as energy sources become scarce, controlled, and expensive.

Devialet's are weird (and a bit dishonest), since the notion of a full power off is that it's actually OFF, whereas in their case power is still being drawn to keep the little thing warm. I can still hear the faint chattering of the PSU.  The only way to stop it using anything is off at the wall outlet switch.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Surely in this day and age we can expect our electronics to last a very long time, no matter whether they are left on or not?
I have never had a bit of kit die on me. Some held for over 25 year and still work when I plug them back in.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I switch everything off at the wall socket when I go to bed. I switch it back on again when I am going to listen.

I don't believe that temperature has anything to do with it, but in any case the way the remote and remote app are polled requires power. As soon as I power up the Devialets my network gets very busy.

During the time I have owned a Devialet, first a D-Premier then a second then an update to 800, there have been many firmware updates. Some have influenced power management. The stable operating temperature has varied greatly, from around 30C to over 65C and I am sure that if warming the circuit to a particular temp was important I imagine this wouldn't have been the case.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(08-Jan-2016, 15:57)Womaz Wrote: Surely in this day and age we can expect our electronics to last a very long time, no matter whether they are left on or not?
I have never had a bit of kit die on me. Some held for over 25 year and still work when I plug them back in.

Same here.  Never had any equipment die on me in the last 45 years of HiFi.
As for the longevity of Devialet gear: we'll have to wait and see!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England