Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB cable shock!
Currently trialling an Aurender N100 I decided to compare the only two USB cables with suitable connectors that I had in my house a £750 Chord Sarum Tuned ARAY and a Canon printer cable.

I have never compared USB cables before being innately sceptical about differences between digital cables generally but I was truly shocked - the sound using the Chord Sarum was better in every way - open, detailed and lively whilst the sound using the printer cable was flat and lifeless.

Now I have no idea why the Sarum sounds better and it doesn't mean that I will splash out £750 on a USB cable but I will now have to try some other options. Hopefully at least one of them will prove to be as good as/close to the Sarum at a fraction of the cost....

EDIT: I've read positive comments about the Chord Silver Plus (about £55) and, of course, the TotalDac cable (bit expensive - €360) - any others I should try?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
philp i had a similar shock to you. while my upgrade from VERY cheap to expensive speaker cables didnt seem to bring about heaven and earth changes, upgrading from my printer cable to a paul pang usb cable was a fantastic move.

So there is another options for you - paul pang usb cable
audioquest usb cable
jcat usb cable
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(16-Jun-2015, 00:14)completeluxury Wrote: philp i had a similar shock to you. while my upgrade from VERY cheap to expensive speaker cables didnt seem to bring about heaven and earth changes, upgrading from my printer cable to a paul pang usb cable was a fantastic move.

audioquest usb cable
jcat usb cable

Thanks for those suggestions.  I see what I can borrow.  Planned power outage today - 6 hours for tree felling! - so I won't get much work or listening done Sad
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Once my Aries arrives (delivery in approx. 1-2 weeks), I will be comparing the Chord Silver Plus USB (Price point 50€) with their Signature Tuned Array USB (Price Point 580€) just for the fun of it. Can provide some feedback on the results if you like.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I've been using the Chord Silver Plus for a few months and it really is a very good budget cable. Just bought a Totaldac USB/Filter cable which arrived yesterday.
I am using the silver cable from Atrisan Silver Cables from the UK. Excellent quality and much cheaper than many of the "high end" cable brands
(16-Jun-2015, 08:52)PhilP Wrote:
(16-Jun-2015, 00:14)completeluxury Wrote: philp i had a similar shock to you. while my upgrade from VERY cheap to expensive speaker cables didnt seem to bring about heaven and earth changes, upgrading from my printer cable to a paul pang usb cable was a fantastic move.

audioquest usb cable
jcat usb cable

Thanks for those suggestions.  I see what I can borrow.  Planned power outage today - 6 hours for tree felling! - so I won't get much work or listening done Sad

Can see from other forum that the jcat usb cable is very popular,specially among the Aires users
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Did a shoot out about 18months ago with a few friends - audioquest coffee, furutech gt2, vertere d-Fi v2 with Aqvox. The vertere d-Fi v2 with Aqvox was preferred over the more expensive AQ. This was tested on a naim 282, 250, supercap, ndac, 555, with a USB/spdif interface and Powerline all the way. We also tried random printer USB cable, which was just slightly worse than the furutech. The preference was based on musical performance rather than details. Details -wise, weren't all that different. The main differences were random USB cable did hear some noise whereas the others didn't. I didn't remember the other details of the shoot out, but the group concluded the Vertere was preferred only with the Aqvox which we inferred the treating of the USB cable's powered 5v pin is quite important. Not sure how this observation is still true with so many new developments in USB cables. Looking forward to learning more as I will need a USB cable when dialog finally works with "Le expert"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PhilP, I use the Chord Signature TA cable to great effect. Nearly half the price of the Sarum TA, and in my system well worthwhile.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
I've had the TotalDac USB cable for a few days. While it is still not hit its stride, I can tell that it is an exceptional cable. It is very much better than the previously installed Shunyata Venom. Very smooth yet revealing, I hear all of the little details and their timbre is correct.

My D200 hasn't quite settled in, but the difference from both DH Labs and Shunyata Venom cables is remarkable. I am good for now.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.