Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from Devialet?
What have you guys heard that you think beats the Devialet amps? I know I would have to spend more. System is VPI TNT, Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Whest Titan, Expert 200, Rockport Atria, Shunyata Everest.
One Amp that beats an Expert 200 is an Expert 220 Pro…
(05-Aug-2023, 21:45)Vivialet Wrote: One Amp that beats an Expert 200 is an Expert 220 Pro…

True.
And 250 pro beats 220pro.
Also 1000 pro beats 250pro.
But how much you'll need to judge it yourselves...
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
I think that a really good option with Rockports is the D-Premier, especially if you use a turntable as main source. In my system I probably liked it better than the 220, but the functionality is not as good.

If you want something different with similar function I would look at the Diablo 300 from Gryphon. Great amp and now there is a new version, the 333(?).
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
Yes, the 220 sounds much better than a 200. That would be an upgrade.
You can also try a Rotel Michi X5!
What kind of sound do you like?
I had a lot of amps in the past and only the 220 was really amazing. It is a matter of taste. You can spend much more than 8000€ but it doesn‘t mean the sound will increase much more.
Maybe an Aavik I580 or U580.
(05-Sep-2023, 15:33)finix Wrote: Yes, the 220 sounds much better than a 200. That would be an upgrade.
You can also try a Rotel Michi X5!
What kind of sound do you like?
I had a lot of amps in the past and only the 220 was really amazing. It is a matter of taste. You can spend much more than 8000€ but it doesn‘t mean the sound will increase much more.
Maybe an Aavik I580 or U580.

I had opportunity a couple of days ago, to audition Aavik U280 + Aavik S-280 hooked on Borresen Z3, with very expensive Ansuz cables, at local dealer. I was not impressed at all. Give advantage to Expert Pro 220 CI all day long. 
P.S
Dealer claimed that Aavik + Z3 had just 150 hours on it. Maybe they need some more time to shine on their best
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
You will never be impressed with a amp.
You can be impressed with a good amp + a treated room + very good speakers!

Take a great amp and hook it up to some cheap 500€ bookshelf speakers. It doesn‘t matter how good and expensive the amp will be, it won‘t sound great.
(06-Sep-2023, 13:09)finix Wrote: You will never be impressed with a amp.
You can be impressed with a good amp + a treated room + very good speakers!

Take a great amp and hook it up to some cheap 500€ bookshelf speakers. It doesn‘t matter how good and expensive the amp will be, it won‘t sound great.

Borresen Z3 Cryo = 20.000 euros  + Ansuz speaker cables (5.000 euros) + 2 Ansuz power cables (2.000 euros) + Ansuz power distributor (5.000 euros). 
Shall be good enough to have idea / opinion of Aavik amp ?
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
I have heard a similar setup with Boressen (the O3) and a full set of Aavik, and I dearly missed the transparency I have grown to love from my setup at home. The Boresson speakers’ low end was booming quite a lot, so I assume the acoustics of the room were anything but perfect. The music just missed subtlety and refinement. I wouldn’t want to trade in my Devialet/Aurender/Audio Physics setup.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
I attended a Linn 50th anniversary listening event this week.
On show was a £170k system - the top-end of what Linn has to offer (£50k Sondek LP12-50 turntable designed in part by an ex-Apple designer, £35k Klimax streamer, £85k 360 speakers).
1.5hrs of history of Linn, interspersed by variety of recording styles.
Although it was a 'good' system, in particular the live recordings really shone through...
Hand-on-heart - I honestly prefer the sound of my Devialet-based system (total cost ~£15k incl. turntable, speakers).
The experience has made me completely re-appraise my upgrade plans - I'm back to square one in terms of 'what next'
Devialet Expert Pro 220, ATC SCM40 speakers, Pro-Ject Xtension 9 turntable, Chord Signature XL speaker cable