Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version: Firmware 13.1.3 + DOS 2.2.4 Date: 2019-02-12
(13-Feb-2019, 11:07)thumb5 Wrote:
(13-Feb-2019, 10:35)ada Wrote: All of us are focused on RAAT/Roon ready part of the update but I made some measurements with my miniDSP UMIK-1 and there are significant changes in other input sources also. I think overall there are updates in all the ecosystem of the unit. Probably the update is not limited to Roon ready while it has been marketed in that way. I will keep testing/measuring but there is a clear improvement on the low frequency bass parts for now.

That's an interesting discovery - can you share your before/after measurements?

As all of us, I am kind of batman, when I go back to house I will share some REW results. Actually the difference that I saw is more on 20-40Hz and that part was low in my Electra 1008BE because of the nature of the speakers. But will share some before after results.

(13-Feb-2019, 11:13)Soniclife Wrote:
(13-Feb-2019, 10:35)ada Wrote: All of us are focused on RAAT/Roon ready part of the update but I made some measurements with my miniDSP UMIK-1 and there are significant changes in other input sources also. I think overall there are updates in all the ecosystem of the unit. Probably the update is not limited to Roon ready while it has been marketed in that way. I will keep testing/measuring but there is a clear improvement on the low frequency bass parts for now.

Very interesting, what are you seeing in the measurements, changes to frequency response, distortion, group delay or something else?  Is this with or without SAM?

I'd like to think I was going to spend the time trying this myself, but I probably don't have the time, or more accurately when I have the time won't have the inclination, I didn't even bother to apply the new firmware last night, just listened to music instead, like a normal person Wink.

There is a change in the frequency response, I couldn't go deep for the rest of the measurements. As I use bookshelf Focal Electra 1008 BEs, I always use SAM enabled (it makes the sound better both for ears and measurements and EQ for room correction is much successful in that way)

If I have enough time during the weekend, I would like to test old and new with/out SAM and try to see all different combinations/differences. I will try to share all SPL, Waterfall, RT60 etc. But of course, all the measurements will be based on my listening room and could impact the others in different ways...

Well, the change log also refers to now being able to chain 16 units instead of 8 for extreme configurations, a minor reduction in power consumption in sleep mode, and fixing an IP address error and come SD card compatibility issues so we know for certain that it does contain a bit more than the roon ready code.

There may have been other refinements as well. Change logs don't always list everything.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(13-Feb-2019, 12:06)ada Wrote: As all of us, I am kind of batman, when I go back to house I will share some REW results. Actually the difference that I saw is more on 20-40Hz and that part was low in my Electra 1008BE because of the nature of the speakers. But will share some before after results.

There is a change in the frequency response, I couldn't go deep for the rest of the measurements. As I use bookshelf Focal Electra 1008 BEs, I always use SAM enabled (it makes the sound better both for ears and measurements and EQ for room correction is much successful in that way)

If I have enough time during the weekend, I would like to test old and new with/out SAM and try to see all different combinations/differences. I will try to share all SPL, Waterfall, RT60 etc. But of course, all the measurements will be based on my listening room and could impact the others in different ways...

I was listening to Arild Anderson's "Elektra" tonight and I noticed a subtle change in the tone of his double bass, a slight increase in richness/warmth related to what sounds to me like a bit more tone from the body of the instrument. It was a small shift but I know the record well and that just stood out to me. The bass also seems a bit more open and detailed. I think part of what may be going on is a slight improvement in the signal to noise and/or distortion characteristics allowing me to hear something which was masked previously.

I am noticing changes. They're not big changes that jump out at me in a way that tells me what has changed, but they are changes that let me hear a little more detail or tonal character in some things and they show up as small details in the sound rather than larger shifts in the overall character of the sound.

I would expect your measurements to show very small differences if any. I think things like waterfall plots and RT60 relate to speaker and room characteristics more than amplifier characteristics and I think things like signal to noise and distortion measurements for the amp specifically might be needed to identify what's going on. Even so , it will be interesting to see if anything does show in the measurements you make.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Have now downloaded the latest Devialet firmware for Devialet RAAT, and must say that I am very impressed. All works fine and SQ remains fantastic. Just one thing I have noticed, and that is an anomaly in the Signal Path. Whilst the Path recognises that my 1000 pro is the RAAT device, the graphics at the bottom shows my device as a Devialet Expert Pro 250! Not too sure what the issue is here - is it me or is there a minor bug? Has anyone else noticed this?

David

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
That’s weird, it does show it as a 1000 Pro in the chain. Must be a bug.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(13-Feb-2019, 17:23)Antoine Wrote: That’s weird, it does show it as a 1000 Pro in the chain. Must be a bug.

That’s my feeling. I will flag this up with Roon, but just interested if anyone else with a “dual mono” Dev was experiencing the same Confused.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
…brit: Same by me with 1000, 440 is shown correct, Must be an bug

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
(13-Feb-2019, 18:24)Elztalbiker Wrote: …brit: Same by me with 1000, 440 is shown correct, Must be an bug

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Many thanks @Elztalbiker, funny that 440 is OK but 1000 is not  Huh. I have contacted Devialet to see what they have to say. Will also contact Roon Support as well.

David
or, as alternative, 

UK
I'm going to break into the regularly scheduled Roon discussion, and give up my first (non-Roon) impressions.

Performed the update to 13.1.3 smoothly, loaded my config file back on and put on Sonny Rollins Saxaphone Colossus on the table. Honestly, its a great album, and it sounded very good, but my ears did not detect any differences of note in SQ versus before the upgrade. However....
I next started listening to a ripped FLAC file of Eliane Elias I thought about you playing on Foobar 2K, and while I have no way offering any kind of measurements, I will simply say listening to this recording after the upgrade provided an etheral experience. I love this recording, and after the update I was captivated with how wonderful it sounds. The soundstage and separation appears wider than before, the background dead silent, and her voice lifted me up as never before. Of course I need to listen to much more, but my first impression on SQ after the update is very good.
Expert 140 Pro CI  Zu Omen Mk II DW's
(13-Feb-2019, 16:38)brit Wrote: Have now downloaded the latest Devialet firmware for Devialet RAAT, and must say that I am very impressed. All works fine and SQ remains fantastic. Just one thing I have noticed, and that is an anomaly in the Signal Path. Whilst the Path recognises that my 1000 pro is the RAAT device, the graphics at the bottom shows my device as a Devialet Expert Pro 250! Not too sure what the issue is here - is it me or is there a minor bug? Has anyone else noticed this?

David

I don't have a dual mono amp but I think I know what's going on.

The dual mono amps are 2 stereo amps configured together. Roon only communicates over the network with the master and it reports information that the master returns. The master in your case is a 250 and that's what the info it is sending back to Roon is obviously saying and in one way what Roon is saying is correct. It's seeing a 250 on the network. The 250 is doing things which make it operate as a 1000 but the internals of the master are those of a 250.

I don't think it's a bug, I think it's simply the result of the fact that Roon is talking to a 250. The info the 250 is returning to Roon doesn't include information stating that it's a 250 configured in mono mode and also feeding another 250 with the two of them making a 1000. Maybe Devialet can change the data returned to Roon over the network but I'm not certain I'd call what you're seeing a bug. It could also be seen as an anomaly arising from the fact that you're using two 250s in a specific way but the amp Roon is talking to is a 250 and it just so happens that the master 250 is also communicating with another 250, the companion.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia