Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your volume level
Ha. I hardly ever look at the volume indicator. I use the dB meter on the Audiotools app adjust the volume to peak at 75dB or so. But usually I just put it where it feels good but not too good.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(08-Dec-2015, 18:43)Womaz Wrote: Is the volume level dependent on the efficiency of the speaker?
Noticed my volume levels way below anyone else.....and i really dont think it is quiet. I mean at the -18db setting it is loud!!

speaker AND ear efficiency Big Grin
I'm getting older...
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(08-Dec-2015, 13:39)deOnn Wrote: Hi,
i just purchased and received a D200 2nd hand off audiogon.
i've hooked up a Proac 115 (89db) and KEF LS50 (85db)...it's superb sounding and quiet as night (no hissing) but am having some concerns about the volume level i need to turn up.
the default is -40db which i can hardly hear anything off (very soft), only up to -20db before it becomes clearly audible (but not enjoyable volume).
however, for normal i.e. good, moderately loud sound, i have to turn it on to approx -12 to -6db, sometimes -4db. room is rather small 4m X 5m.

i read the threads here and it vaguely seems some of you guys are playing at -20db as a norm.
just wanna give a shoutout to see what the general "norm" is.
a littly worrying as my speakers aren't exactly low sensitivity but i have to play it at much louder levels.

on a side note, the configurator speaker config has a slider to push from -15 to 15. i left that at 0.

thnx!

Hi, I've a Le200 and KEF LS50, too. My room is about 2m x 5m. My normal volume is about -35dB for pop music (for quiet background listening I set it at -45dB) and -20dB for classical.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

14' x 23' room. 9 ' ceiling.

Speakers on short wall.

Seated ~ 9 feet from speakers. Speaker efficiency around 87.

I have Devialet 400s.

-36 for pop music, other music depending on format (PCM vs DSD), style and how it is mixed varies.

This would be for slightly above background listening. One would turn it down if conversing with someone in same room.

I would never have it set higher than -10dB which would be really really really loud in the room.

Note my room has openings on one side to other rooms.

So as others said lots of variables. Size of room, distance from speakers, efficiency of speakers, how loud you like to listen, and whether room has openings to other rooms, lots of absorption, etc...
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Thanks all! Interesting and puzzling to see the great variances in volume level.
hi to all, I dont want to open new topic, can ask here: how hot is devialet 200 when it is in use? can it be in half closed rack?
(09-Dec-2015, 14:19)dr.sah Wrote: hi to all, I dont want to open new topic, can ask here: how hot is devialet 200 when it is in use? can it be in half closed rack?

It can easily get too hot to put your hand on it. I wouldn't have it too closed in.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
You could refer to this thread:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...emperature

And yes, I would agree wth Pim, it has to be best not to close the amp in.
(08-Dec-2015, 19:41)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(08-Dec-2015, 18:43)Womaz Wrote: Is the volume level dependent on the efficiency of the speaker?
Noticed my volume levels way below anyone else.....and i really dont think it is quiet. I mean at the -18db setting it is loud!!

speaker AND ear efficiency Big Grin
I'm getting older...

Exactly. Smile Plus some folks enjoy music louder than others.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Devialet 200, -20 to -10, up to -5, depending on the record.
Dare to learn!
[Mac Mini => Devialet 200 => Elac FS 509 VX JET]