Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What server function will be still necessary after core infinity
It may be a little early to ask that question as a lot CI function are not implemented or only in beta phase and the majority of us is still waiting for the Pros to come back (including me). But the Pro will never be a complete server with the CI board as there is no internal storage (which may or not be a good thing).
There will be direct streaming possible from an increasing number of services so that function may not require an external server only a connection to internet and to a pad/phone for UI via WiFi or ethernet.  Because of that direct connection eliminating additional devices/cables I can envision that this will be the best sounding option.
The internet based streaming model will be very likely replace the use of physical media or stored files but I want at least some of my music available independent of the internet and streaming services. So I am again in the market for a server. Which one will very much depend on the sound quality of different input options but the hierarchy of these may be changed through CI. So I am curious the hear new evaluations and comparisons especially AES vs USB vs ethernet.

I am presently contemplating Innous Zenith or Roon Nucleus but they lack AES. I like the design of Nativ Vita which has AES out but have no idea wether it can compete sound wise.