Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog connection protocol
(28-Jun-2015, 11:05)ragwo Wrote: Hi. 
I currently use a home plug system in my house and wonder if it will interfere with the Phantom PLN. Have anyone tried using two home plug systems on the same power circuit? 
I've made a reservation for two Phantom Silver and a Dialog, hopefully arriving mid July.

I received two silver phantoms + dialog a few days ago and have a homeplug network (Devolo). If I put the dialog in a separate room to the phantoms wired by ethernet to the homeplug network and I do get occasional drop outs. I'm guessing there is some interference going on but it doesn't seem to effect the speed of the homeplug network itself. 

If I keep the dialog and phantoms together and wire them to the same gigabit switch everything is perfect. Unfortunately there doesn't seemed to be any way to turn the phantom's homeplug functionality off.
(28-Jun-2015, 12:28)zootreeves Wrote:
(28-Jun-2015, 11:05)ragwo Wrote: Hi. 
I currently use a home plug system in my house and wonder if it will interfere with the Phantom PLN. Have anyone tried using two home plug systems on the same power circuit? 
I've made a reservation for two Phantom Silver and a Dialog, hopefully arriving mid July.

I received two silver phantoms + dialog a few days ago and have a homeplug network (Devolo). If I put the dialog in a separate room to the phantoms wired by ethernet to the homeplug network and I do get occasional drop outs. I'm guessing there is some interference going on but it doesn't seem to effect the speed of the homeplug network itself. 

If I keep the dialog and phantoms together and wire them to the same gigabit switch everything is perfect. Unfortunately there doesn't seemed to be any way to turn the phantom's homeplug functionality off.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply! 
Have you tried with the Dialog in the same room without ethernet connection to the Phantoms? That is basically what I would like to do. 

My planned scenario is as follows:
Internet router and wifi in the hallway connected with a Devolo home plug connected to a second router in the living room which will be connected to a HTPC and the Dialog. The hallway and the living room are on two different circuits. The distance between the Dialog and the Phantoms is 3 to 7 meters. 
Signal through Dialog wifi and PLN. 
Do you think it would work? 
Thanks a lot! 

Regards
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(28-Jun-2015, 13:09)ragwo Wrote: Thanks a lot for the quick reply! 
Have you tried with the Dialog in the same room without ethernet connection to the Phantoms? That is basically what I would like to do. 

I think I have a very similar setup to you. But I just have both phantoms left and right of the tv in the living room plugged into the router behind.

To test, I moved one of the phantoms over to the other side of my living room (~10m away) connected only through the power socket. Initially it seemed to work fine, both 16bit/48khz and 24bit/98khz tracks would play without issue. However if you saturate the homeplug network (I transferred a large file from a PC in another room over the homeplug network) 24bit/98khz tracks are unplayable and will stutter terribly - lower quality tracks still seem to play ok.

The two networks are obviously competing for bandwidth but it only causes problems when both are under very heavy use. I think if it is just internet going over the homeplug network you should be ok. I tested with a set of devolo 500 and 1200 adapters, same issues for both.
(28-Jun-2015, 14:54)zootreeves Wrote: I think I have a very similar setup to you. But I just have both phantoms left and right of the tv in the living room plugged into the router behind.

To test, I moved one of the phantoms over to the other side of my living room (~10m away) connected only through the power socket. Initially it seemed to work fine, both 16bit/48khz and 24bit/98khz tracks would play without issue. However if you saturate the homeplug network (I transferred a large file from a PC in another room over the homeplug network) 24bit/98khz tracks are unplayable and will stutter terribly - lower quality tracks still seem to play ok.

The two networks are obviously competing for bandwidth but it only causes problems when both are under very heavy use. I think if it is just internet going over the homeplug network you should be ok. I tested with a set of devolo 500 and 1200 adapters, same issues for both.
Thank you very much for your test! I really do appreciate it!
I think I'll be OK, the home plug (Devolo 500) connects the HTPC to Internet and streams flac to Squeezebox components in the rest of the house.
Thanks again!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
To follow up on the OP's issue: I also experienced hiccups severely since having the Phantoms. I also tried the trick with 2 Phantoms+Dialog on the same unfiltered/unprotected power strip, but to no avail. What eventually solved my problems was to disable routing on my internet providers modem/router (Ubee EVW321B), use it in bridged mode and let my other (proper) wifi router do all the routing. This completely resolved my hiccup problems, but other then this I did not have any noticeable network problems. Up/downstream and latency were fine. So if anyone is having problems you might want to look into this...
Devialet 250PRO - Audio Physic Avantera - AIR-ETH - Roon
My plan would be to connect an Ethernet cable from the modem/router located in a different room, to an Ethernet switch in a different room, where Dialog, and Phantoms would be located. Then, an Ethernet cable from the Dialog to the switch. If I decide to do wired, then I use 2 more Ethernet cables from the Phantoms to the switch, Otherwise, I will stick with 1 Ethernet cable from the Dialog to switch, for WiFi experience.

I would be connecting most likely the Phantoms and Dialog to the same power strip, but not the Ethernet switch,  although the switch will be located in the same room as Phantoms and Dialog.

I read here about filtered mains...unfiltered... I'm not sure what that means.

If I buy a power strip that in the specs mention "EMI/RMI Noise Filtration", or anything with the word "filtering" on it, or if I buy a power strip that says it has around 4000 Joules, because I want to protect expensive Devialet products...

Well, anybody using smart power strips like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NPCDDM/ref=...UTF8&psc=1

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-12-Outlet-P...s_761520_5

Just to name a couple...

I don't know... is this the same kind of filtered that would prevent me from having a smooth Devialet ride?

Is the recommended thing to do is to connect 2 Phantoms and Dialog into the same power strip extension? Is using a power strip recommended, or against, for the Phantoms/Dialog experience?

Sorry, I don't speak much electrical language.

Thanks.
After much experimentation seeking a "bulletproof " rock solid configuration for my dialog and 3 phantoms I have it locked down with this belt and suspenders setup.

First, the WiFi only setup is flaky and frustrating. The Wifi plus common plug circuit is better but still occasionally disappears.

So, I plugged 5 TP-Link 8010 P's into the branch AC outlets that are common to my router/switch, the dialog, and the 3 phantoms and used the Ethernet pairing to connect the router, the dialog, and the 3 phantoms with Ethernet cables. The TP-Links are also AC pass through.

I'm feeding the dialog optical in from an optical switch connected to my Bluesound node 2, Oppo BDP 105 D, and Marantz AV 8801. This allows me to use Roon, plus all my NAS audio, as well as the unit specific audio sources.

So far, days and nights of acoustic bliss....

Devialet could do themselves a world of good if they described in detail a  bulletproof case hardened setup for each application scenario.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
It would be worthwhile making a sticky thread on "bulletproof" solutions. Someone else connected their Phantoms and Dialog with ethernet cables to a dedicated dumb switch. Many contributors have plugged their Phantoms and Dialog's mains plugs into a dedicated 4-way socket strip (myself included) and removed any mains filtering systems.

Has anyone tried giving their Phantoms and Dialog fixed IP addresses?