Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are HiFi entusiasts negative to Phantoms ?
(21-Feb-2016, 15:06)McChicken Wrote:
(21-Feb-2016, 14:01)sekriT Wrote: You are correct.  Devialet marketing was over the top. They offered more than what they could do, such as 'integrate DLNA into dialog, multi-channel support and many more".  Proud and overconfident French deserve some backlash and humiliation.  I hope they realize that they can't sell by marketing alone.  Nobody would continue to buy Apple products, if the Macbook or iPhone didn't work as promised.

sekrIT
I just laughed a bit ...Apple gets away with murder...they are the darlings of media...I am myself using plenty of Apple products BUT... as mentioned... you have forgotten the trouble iPhone had in the beginning and when the iPhone 4 came out and you needed to buy a little rubber bumper if not the phone didn't work..and I one of the people who suffered of WiFi issues on my Macbook ...but in general YES Apple products work good, But have they innovated anything....   Nah they just mix existing tech and put MASSIVE marketing into that and voila Apple is THE most innovative company ( anyway in the USA) if you visit i.e Japan you see innovation ...and "French copies no one...and no one copies the French" said an old mentor of mine

What I meant above is; Apple created the software that made their great looking devices work. Innovation of Mac OS X and IOS is not a laughing matter.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
(21-Feb-2016, 15:36)sekriT Wrote:
(21-Feb-2016, 15:06)McChicken Wrote:
(21-Feb-2016, 14:01)sekriT Wrote: You are correct.  Devialet marketing was over the top. They offered more than what they could do, such as 'integrate DLNA into dialog, multi-channel support and many more".  Proud and overconfident French deserve some backlash and humiliation.  I hope they realize that they can't sell by marketing alone.  Nobody would continue to buy Apple products, if the Macbook or iPhone didn't work as promised.

sekrIT
I just laughed a bit ...Apple gets away with murder...they are the darlings of media...I am myself using plenty of Apple products BUT... as mentioned... you have forgotten the trouble iPhone had in the beginning and when the iPhone 4 came out and you needed to buy a little rubber bumper if not the phone didn't work..and I one of the people who suffered of WiFi issues on my Macbook ...but in general YES Apple products work good, But have they innovated anything....   Nah they just mix existing tech and put MASSIVE marketing into that and voila Apple is THE most innovative company ( anyway in the USA) if you visit i.e Japan you see innovation ...and "French copies no one...and no one copies the French" said an old mentor of mine

What I meant above is; Apple created the software that made their great looking devices work. Innovation of Mac OS X and IOS is not a laughing matter.

I just wanted to mess with you a bit ;-) ...and is not Mac OS X UNIX based ....but I get your drift it's the execution that matters...peace out
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
Devialet for some reason does not tick the boxes for many audiophiles. I was guilty of dismissing it when i first heard about the brand as I had been brought up on the philosophy that integrated and power amps had to weigh over 40 kg to sound any good ! Hence twenty years of upgrading resulted in my purchase a couple of years ago of a Krell Evolution 302 power amplifier, coupled with an Esoteric C03X preamplifier I had my dream amplification and £21.5k to boot ! I had a very enjoyable sound very dynamic but there was something missing. I found myself still trawling the internet looking at other options all part of the addiction I suppose.

Anyway I attended a Devialet open day last year at my dealer’s and I’m soooo pleased I did. I heard the two Silver Phantom’s first and was very impressed I was seriously considering selling all my kit for a pair of these. But we then moved into the main listening room where I heard a D200 driving a pair of Wilson Sabrina’s...... Incredible I was lost for words, how could this little 5 kg integrated be creating this amazing transparent dynamic sound. I was done - a couple of weeks later I had sold my cd player preamp and power amp and in came the D400 and a cheaper cd transport. The D400 is less than half the Esoteric / Krell combo but imho in my system there is no comparison. I have much more transparency, dynamics are still there in spades but i have so much more snap and musicality it is hard to describe.

With my profits I was also able to buy a Phantom for my daughter so happy days.

Anyone who dismisses Devialet without listening to them is missing a trick. it may not be to your taste but least hear it first. I’m glad I did.
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
egg1dog, I don't think anybody is criticizing Devialet for their Expert series here..  Topic is about phantoms and audiophiles.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
(21-Feb-2016, 17:23)sekriT Wrote: egg1dog, I don't think anybody is criticizing Devialet for their Expert series here..  Topic is about phantoms and audiophiles.

I know it was just a general comment about how Devialet has been perceived in the audiophile world  Smile

No criticism intended.
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
(21-Feb-2016, 17:23)sekriT Wrote: egg1dog, I don't think anybody is criticizing Devialet for their Expert series here..  Topic is about phantoms and audiophiles.

I thought egg1dog made a great comparison praising Expert versus Phantom - thank you egg1.

I don't get your negative comment?!
(21-Feb-2016, 19:41)Mr_Bill Wrote:

I thought egg1dog made a great comparison praising Expert versus Phantom - thank you egg1.

I don't get your negative comment?!

Thank you Mr Bill. 

I could live happily with the Silver phantom or the Expert but my preference once i heard both was for the Expert.

There is no negativity or criticism intended on either part ?
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
(21-Feb-2016, 19:37)egg1dog Wrote:

I know it was just a general comment about how Devialet has been perceived in the audiophile world  Smile

No criticism intended.

Understood. As a proud owner of Expert series, there is not much you can complain about. I agree with you, I listened to D200 and B&W and it was amazing. SAM does wonders.  Maybe I will give these phantoms to my son one day.  But I am patiently waiting for now.
I would like to say it is incredibly easy to get Internet radio, a turntable for vinyl, connection to a Nas drive, Tidal, Qubouz and Spotify on the Phantoms.
I really don't understand all the complaints about this just a little research and you can do it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk