Devialet Chat
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes (/Thread-Highest-Possible-Sound-Quality-from-iTunes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - johnsap - 22-Apr-2016

Alasdair, interesting !

CAD CAT as well with Roon?

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - oxfordaudio - 23-Apr-2016

Something entirely different that's not a computer that runs Roon natively on it's streaming board. Talking to the brand, it's the first of it's type and they will be showing off all the new functionality at the Munich show.

It's not a new brand and they're UK based. That's all I'm allowed to say...

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - Axel - 23-Apr-2016

C'mon then! Who wants a fiver on Cambridge Audio?

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - oxfordaudio - 23-Apr-2016

Cambridge Audio at Oxford Audio, next you'll mention the bloomin' Boat race!

(we did use to sell CA in the early days mind!)

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - Axel - 23-Apr-2016

(23-Apr-2016, 16:52)oxfordaudio Wrote: Cambridge Audio at Oxford Audio, next you'll mention the bloomin' Boat race!

(we did use to sell CA in the early days mind!)

Meridian? Naim?.....Chord!

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - Confused - 24-Apr-2016

Getting this thread back on topic. I have worked out that it would indeed be possible to use a microRendu with iTunes acting as the 'file delivery system'. Apparently this can be done using the Shairplay output mode. Although compared to Roon, this will not be the best sounding of the applications and only supports Redbook and low res files.

The sound quality deficit is inherent to the Airplay protocol. In this output mode the microRendu might still sound better than a standard computer. However, on the microRendu and relative to the other output modes the Shairport (Airplay emulator) will not be the best sounding output. Technically, it has to do with how the Airplay protocol uses the internal clock of the source for audio.

How do I know this? Jesus told me. (Sonore's Jesus R, that is, I am not hearing voices or anything.)

I must profess to only partially understanding all this, but I wonder if this is a related issue to iTunes not sounding quite as good as JRiver or Roon on a PC with WASAPI / AIR?

I also did a bit of research myself regarding getting iTunes into a simple 'file delivery mode'. It would appear that iTunes uses 'DAAP' protocol, and in normal Apple style they have tried to keep this ring fenced in the Apple eco system, and although some have managed to hack around this restriction, it is never anything likely to be supported widely or by major manufacturers, except Apple of course, who are not likely to release a top quality music server anytime soon. So although this is not insurmountable, it is never going to be an ideal solution. Even if you did manage to get a top quality set up somehow, using DAAP, it would only take the odd iTunes update to mess up the good work.

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - Confused - 16-May-2016

As an update. Could it now be that the answer to the 'Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes' question is now, quite simply, a Mac + AIR 3?

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - Pim - 17-May-2016

(16-May-2016, 17:18)Confused Wrote: As an update.  Could it now be that the answer to the 'Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes' question is now, quite simply, a Mac + AIR 3?

I was just about to post that this whole thread is now obsolete but you beat me to it. Good times!

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - Confused - 17-May-2016

(17-May-2016, 08:37)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(16-May-2016, 17:18)Confused Wrote: As an update.  Could it now be that the answer to the 'Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes' question is now, quite simply, a Mac + AIR 3?

I was just about to post that this whole thread is now obsolete but you beat me to it. Good times!

I take your point Pim, but I wouldn't say a thread like this could ever be considered closed, there is always something new, or an additional tweak to try!

Anyway, I don't have a Mac of any description, so I can't even try this. Confused    For those who have tried iTunes / Mac / AIR 3), what do you think?

RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - GuillaumeB - 17-May-2016

(17-May-2016, 10:24)Confused Wrote:
(17-May-2016, 08:37)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

I take your point Pim, but I wouldn't say a thread like this could ever be considered closed, there is always something new, or an additional tweak to try!

Anyway, I don't have a Mac of any description, so I can't even try this. Confused    For those who have tried iTunes / Mac / AIR 3), what do you think?

I haven't tried it yet but I hear favourable reports of iTunes + Audirvana. Given that I prefer the Audirvana sound to iTunes (yes they sound different!) I would probably end up choosing this route.

Guillaume