Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes
Alasdair, interesting !

CAD CAT as well with Roon?
Something entirely different that's not a computer that runs Roon natively on it's streaming board. Talking to the brand, it's the first of it's type and they will be showing off all the new functionality at the Munich show.

It's not a new brand and they're UK based. That's all I'm allowed to say...
C'mon then! Who wants a fiver on Cambridge Audio?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Cambridge Audio at Oxford Audio, next you'll mention the bloomin' Boat race!

(we did use to sell CA in the early days mind!)
(23-Apr-2016, 16:52)oxfordaudio Wrote: Cambridge Audio at Oxford Audio, next you'll mention the bloomin' Boat race!

(we did use to sell CA in the early days mind!)

Meridian? Naim?.....Chord!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Getting this thread back on topic. I have worked out that it would indeed be possible to use a microRendu with iTunes acting as the 'file delivery system'. Apparently this can be done using the Shairplay output mode. Although compared to Roon, this will not be the best sounding of the applications and only supports Redbook and low res files.

The sound quality deficit is inherent to the Airplay protocol. In this output mode the microRendu might still sound better than a standard computer. However, on the microRendu and relative to the other output modes the Shairport (Airplay emulator) will not be the best sounding output. Technically, it has to do with how the Airplay protocol uses the internal clock of the source for audio.

How do I know this? Jesus told me. (Sonore's Jesus R, that is, I am not hearing voices or anything.)

I must profess to only partially understanding all this, but I wonder if this is a related issue to iTunes not sounding quite as good as JRiver or Roon on a PC with WASAPI / AIR?

I also did a bit of research myself regarding getting iTunes into a simple 'file delivery mode'. It would appear that iTunes uses 'DAAP' protocol, and in normal Apple style they have tried to keep this ring fenced in the Apple eco system, and although some have managed to hack around this restriction, it is never anything likely to be supported widely or by major manufacturers, except Apple of course, who are not likely to release a top quality music server anytime soon. So although this is not insurmountable, it is never going to be an ideal solution. Even if you did manage to get a top quality set up somehow, using DAAP, it would only take the odd iTunes update to mess up the good work.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
As an update. Could it now be that the answer to the 'Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes' question is now, quite simply, a Mac + AIR 3?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-May-2016, 17:18)Confused Wrote: As an update.  Could it now be that the answer to the 'Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes' question is now, quite simply, a Mac + AIR 3?

I was just about to post that this whole thread is now obsolete but you beat me to it. Good times!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(17-May-2016, 08:37)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(16-May-2016, 17:18)Confused Wrote: As an update.  Could it now be that the answer to the 'Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes' question is now, quite simply, a Mac + AIR 3?

I was just about to post that this whole thread is now obsolete but you beat me to it. Good times!

I take your point Pim, but I wouldn't say a thread like this could ever be considered closed, there is always something new, or an additional tweak to try!

Anyway, I don't have a Mac of any description, so I can't even try this. Confused    For those who have tried iTunes / Mac / AIR 3), what do you think?
(17-May-2016, 10:24)Confused Wrote:
(17-May-2016, 08:37)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

I take your point Pim, but I wouldn't say a thread like this could ever be considered closed, there is always something new, or an additional tweak to try!

Anyway, I don't have a Mac of any description, so I can't even try this. Confused    For those who have tried iTunes / Mac / AIR 3), what do you think?

I haven't tried it yet but I hear favourable reports of iTunes + Audirvana. Given that I prefer the Audirvana sound to iTunes (yes they sound different!) I would probably end up choosing this route.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK