Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rake Angle
SAM does help with time alignment but if your ears aren't in the best possible line with the speakers, it still won't do the job.

Interesting that you think about the 'correct' hight of the singer when you think about rake angle. Given that every recording is different, how would you ever know what 'correct' is?

A more important reason for rake angle is time alignment and it's possibly the easiest thing to work out. As mentioned before, use a female singer, preferably solo. The next thing to do is just sit in your listening chair and lift your head vertically up and down. The position that gives you the most natural voice (body) is the right position for your head. If that position doesn't work, adjust the speakers to line up with your head to achieve the same thing.

I have two positions for my speakers; one up close to the wall for daily listening, and another well into the room for best soundstage. I use a few felt pen marks to remember where they sound best so it's just a matter of putting them back where they were before. My chair then goes into its ideal position and then it's time for the cook books. I put the books (Specific ones for the right thickness) under the front feet (also IsoAcoustics) and then sit back and enjoy the music.

That's how you use rake angle to get the sound signature right. That's more important than getting the hight right, because if it sounds boring, the 'right' hight isn't going to make you enjoy it more. If you still want to achieve a certain hight for the singer, you could then lift the speakers up or down. But then you should still adjust the rake angle afterwards to get the time alignment right.

Remember this with every set up you do; if it sounds bright, boring or you just don't get the sound you like with most recordings, it'll be listening chair position, speaker position, toe in and rake that will fix it. Not cables, DSP or pricey sources. The latter can only do 10, maybe 20%. The former does the more important 80-90%.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
Rake Angle - by Norty - 23-Apr-2021, 12:35
RE: Rake Angle - by ogs - 24-Apr-2021, 08:08
RE: Rake Angle - by chrisc - 24-Apr-2021, 08:17
RE: Rake Angle - by Norty - 24-Apr-2021, 12:40
RE: Rake Angle - by ogs - 24-Apr-2021, 16:00
RE: Rake Angle - by chrisc - 24-Apr-2021, 20:14
RE: Rake Angle - by ogs - 24-Apr-2021, 20:30
RE: Rake Angle - by Norty - 25-Apr-2021, 00:22
RE: Rake Angle - by Pim - 25-Apr-2021, 05:10
RE: Rake Angle - by ogs - 25-Apr-2021, 10:35
RE: Rake Angle - by Pim - 25-Apr-2021, 11:41