Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sound quality - Roon RAAT vs Roon Air
(23-Sep-2021, 10:32)Delija Wrote: @David A
So, you rather choose not to use 192/24 than to limit the connection to 100 Mbps?
I strongly disagree Smile

With 100 Mbps connection everything works perfectly. You don't even need a switch if there is a way to limit connection on LAN port used for Devialet on router - just as I do on my Asus RT-AC66U.

I think you also are looking at my response, and my original post, in the wrong way.

I have never said I chose not to use 192/24 rather than limit the connection to 100 mbps. What I originally said is "I was one of the lucky ones who never had an issue streaming with RAAT…" and that was because I didn't have any 192/24 source material and that I streamed at native resolution. I could even stream a 176.4/24 resolution album without problems using RAAT and a gigabit connection. I've always preferred streaming at native resolution and leaving all upsampling to my Devialet and I went back to doing that after trying the 192'24 upsampling experiment with Roon. I had no need to choose not to use 192/24 since I had no 192/24 source material on my server and none is available from Tidal which I was using back at that time. I did not choose not to use 192/24, I simply chose to continue streaming everything I had at native resolution over my gigabit connection and I never downsampled anything from 192/24 because I never needed to.

If you want to debate the virtues of upsampling everything to 192/24 before passing it to the Devialet rather than passing all content to it at native resolution then that's a different debate entirely. I tried comparing those options without any problems whatsoever when the only connection option we had was AIR prior to the Expert Pros becoming Roon Ready and I heard no difference so I have always deliberately chosen to stream at native resolution as the simpler option rather than upsampling prior to streaming to my Devialet. RAAT hasn't changed my preferences on that matter.

I also said that a 100 Mbps connection was an effective workaround, it "works perfectly" just as you said. If anyone having problems with source material at any resolution asked me whether I would tell them to downsample that content in preference to using a 100 mbps connection, then I would definitely tell them to use the 100 mbps connection. I don't think the connection speed has any effect on sound quality and downsampling the resolution of the source material would almost certainly have a detrimental effect. If I had any source material at 192/24 back when we first became able to use RAAT I would definitely have moved to a 100 mbps connection much quicker than I did but, as indicated above, I personally had absolutely no need to do so.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sound quality - Roon RAAT vs Roon Air - by David A - 23-Sep-2021, 21:10