Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transformer hum caused by Devialets?
There was one review on an Expert that actually mentioned that the Expert's power supply causes distortion in the power supplying them. They found that out when they went from one stereo amp to a dual mono. Apparently something seemed off and they worked out it was the distortion coming from the power supply from one amp distorting the supplied power to the other and vice versa. So yes, the Experts can cause transformer hum.

The solution then is a power conditioner as some wrote above. I'm using a Furman IT Reference 16. It's a beast of a thing. One thing to note is that the transformer inside does hum a tiny bit just by itself (nothing turned on). I only heard it in the middle of the night when walking past it. That's with no wind, no traffic at all. just a really quiet night. I'd be surprised if it was audible at all in any other situation, it's that quiet.

As for the quality of sound from the Experts now they are connected to the Furman; in one word; sublime.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Transformer hum caused by Devialets? - by Pim - 15-Jan-2024, 23:40