Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio quality vs convenience
I would also say Archimago's re-worked diagram is as near as one can get to good. I have been an amateur recordist for 50+ years and have lots of reel to reel tapes, cassettes and DATs of my own recordings, which I monitored live on headphones so I have heard pretty often the sound added by recorders.

Having written that of course not all recordings are equally good, and IME the difference in quality between the thousands of recordings I own exceeds by a considerable margin the difference in sound quality of the mediums on which they are distributed. My best recorded LPs sound better than modern pop CDs and my best, mainly older and classical, CDs knock LPs into a cocked hat.

Here the best sound probably comes from my Goldmund 36+ into the AES/EBU input.

I am disappointed to say that the Meridian diagram looks to me like marketing puff aimed at appealling to the existing prejudices of well heeled audio enthusiasts of the "Whats best forum" ilk.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
Audio quality vs convenience - by thumb5 - 08-Mar-2015, 15:24
RE: Audio quality vs convenience - by f1eng - 08-Mar-2015, 18:11
RE: Audio quality vs convenience - by Damon - 09-Mar-2015, 01:53