Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What were your previous systems (prior to the Phantoms)?
(19-Jul-2015, 20:59)Chillin Wrote: Will you keep them along your current setup, in the same room?
Would you recommend them for jazz/classics?
My current setup in the listening room is AirTight tube amp and Dali Grands and that's the sound I like.
I'd like to get  a similar sound quality in the living room room, which needs the least obtrusive equipment 
configuration, so am considering various options.
I am worried a bit about the low level sound though.
TIA for your advice.

I was using the following conventional setup before I bought my silver Phantoms:

WLM Diva Mk II Speakers ( Coax )
Trafomatic Experience II 300b single ended tube amp
Opera Consonance Droplet 5.0 CD Player
Nubert AW 1300 DSP Subwoofer for some material

Soundstage is very good. My setup is a widened stereo triangle with the Phantoms turned in to my listening spot. I experimented with some stands and found out that they sounded best on stands of about 60cms height. As drivers for mids and heights are tilted upwards a little this height gives the most realistic projection.

Clarity is above average but when the material gets complex they are missing some info. Compared to my former coaxial speakers they are less detailed.

Timbre is nice. Acoustical instruments sound as they should. Saxophone, trumpets, voices are what I consider to be very realistic. Mids are fast. Unfortunately the bass somewhat lacks this tempo. As long as we are talking about bass impulses all is fine. Drums are great, so is acoustic or electronic bass. Some songs have bass lines that start at higher frequences and then drop down continuesly until the deepest frequences. The Phantoms are not very good in reproducing that kind of bass. My guess is that they simply are not able to transport enough air in these cases. As not many songs are like that it is not really a big thing.

Dynamics are great. I used to listen to Coax and Broadband concepts before and think that Phantoms are equally dynamic. You could think that it is a one driver system as the whole frequency range is reproduced equally well with no "holes" you would discover in the frequence range.

Low volume is not what I expected it to be. In my listening room which is about 40 sqm they live up at 40/100. Lower volumes result in a light curtain drawn in front of them. In addition it appears as if there is a slight loudness effect at low levels.

I decided to keep them because they are good. They are not the best I had so far but they are good. With some music material they are fantastic.

But spark app really is disgusting. No playlists but a sinle one. In addition my Playlist is gone every three or four days. So the only way is to use the optical input and use Spark for volume control only. This is the worst piece of spftware somebody ever sold together with a 4k piece of equipement.

As I am not,a native speaker I was lacking some phrases in my description. I hope I nevertheless was able to explain my experience.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What were your previous systems (prior to the Phantoms)? - by nugat - 20-Jul-2015, 08:57