Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSU & Cover...
If you're curious about things like the blue transfer pad media as is used in the Devialet the place to go learn about it is forums for Gamer's Consoles and Gamer's PC's. Those guys have been dealing with massive heat issues for years. They build systems that are so tweaked out, pissed off and off-the-charts modified that even tho they must respect the 65*C temps Devialet recommends staying under that they're delighted to be able to maintain a constant 62*C. In fact they accept that as we accept +/- 40*C. They use things like chilled water circulation thru copper/aluminum tubing routed thru HUGE internal/external heat sinks. And lots of that thermal transfer pad matrix found in the Devialet. Big difference is nary a one of em would be caught dead using the blue regardless of manufacturer. Could be 3M or Chinese, doesn't matter. Without exception the pro's are using a material called "Phobya" exclusively for serious game machines. And while like the blue material in our machines is offered in many thicknesses they stick with just one thickness; 1mm. If they need thicker they layer up. If its a little too thick they roll it out with the side of smooth glass jars, teflon-coated rolling pins on flat pieces of glass and other smooth clean surfaces. These guys are deadly serious about this. Young men mostly after my own heart tweak-wise albeit perhaps with rich parents or high income .com/broker careers/jobs and no wives would be my guess. Many of these gaming machines are upwards of $15-$20k, some well over TWICE that!! And buying off-the-rack won't be anywhere near this level of competitive. These are all custom, one-off, purpose built race cars! And these guys know thermal transfer 'stickum' pads like the backs of their hands and can quote temps with various thickness, color & recipe pads instantly from memory.

These guys leave no stone unturned in their relentless pursuit of cooler running temps. They deal vigorously in all three methods of heat dissipation, ie; conduction, convection & radiation and to the nth degree at EVERY turn!

They use and recommend the following exclusively at EVERY forum. Its the hands-down and running away preference and has been for a couple years tho the more innovative keep trying new product that comes along but so far they always find their way back to this product.They tear into their machines like I go thru white cotton crew socks! And apparently seams are ok with this stuff. It works just as well as one-piece as long as multi-part pieces are spaced very closely together and touching. But trapped air bubbles are a B-I-G no-no! And they can't emphasize that strongly enough espousing analogies like a 3mm air bubble trapped under the center of a 1mm X 25mm square pad reduces it's thermal efficiency over 50%! This particular thermal pad material is touted as over 550% more thermally conductive than a silver thermal paste!

So 3 guesses as to what I've opted to use on reassembly and first two don't count! I didn't 'want' to use any of this on reassembly but I simply cannot make that happen. I have 6 pieces of 400mm X 400mm X 1mm of this ordered this weekend from Amazon for delivery Wednesday. Way more than I need or can use initially but if I have to go back inside even once I'll be glad I did. You can easily lift & reposition this material during original installation but once its 'baked' on it's toast as far as lifting/re-positioning is concerned. Easily removed even when old/dried but self-destructs upon removal after a short term heat-cure. Doesn't break my heart its a nice dark-gray blackish color to match all the other Devialet PCB's and my Case once anodized even if it can't be seen from outside the box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phobya-Thermal-p...0641636270
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 05-Aug-2015, 02:48
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 09-Aug-2015, 18:41
RE: PSU & Cover... - by thumb5 - 10-Aug-2015, 20:15
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Rufus McDufus - 09-Aug-2015, 20:44
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 10-Aug-2015, 20:43
RE: PSU & Cover... - by kenreau - 10-Aug-2015, 23:25
RE: PSU & Cover... - by f1eng - 11-Aug-2015, 18:07
RE: PSU & Cover... - by kenreau - 11-Aug-2015, 21:06
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 11-Aug-2015, 01:03
RE: PSU & Cover... - by kenreau - 11-Aug-2015, 21:02
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 12-Aug-2015, 00:22