Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSU & Cover...
Thanks kenreau and if you can identify the DAC/DSP chips you're way ahead of me! I know 'about' where the DAC is as there's only one place it could be to have an advertised "less than 2" path to the speaker binding posts. And I know where the PSU is and the digital board. I know approx where the analog board is but couldn't draw a line around its boundary if my life depended on it! In reality we're not very far apart.

I believe Devialet states that up to 65*C is safe. And I've read at PC forums that same number is tossed around a lot. No idea what begins to go south after 65*C. But any time we're talking Devialet temps there's some other numbers without which our GUI's display temps don't mean much. 1.) listening level, 2) DPM on/off, 3) ambient temps etc. I also suspect speaker efficiency and ohm load to be a factor. All things that contribute to a greater/lesser degree to our onboard temps. After numerous tests I find numbers to be pretty meaningless until after a solid 5 hours of playing. I used to believe 3 was adequate till I kept my eyes on things a bit longer then chose 5 hours as my minimum even tho differential averages within the final two hours were within a single degree in all cases.

My last baseline temp measurements for comparison after reassembly are as follows just prior to disassembly:
DPM/off Volume -28 to -34 Ambient 24-25*C Wall-Mounted
A: 44
D: 45
S: 47

One thing I do know empirically is if heat transfer size is any consideration the digital board should be hotter than everything else as its thermal pad real estate dwarfs the others and by a huge margin: 60mm wide X 150mm long on the underside between belly pan and board then has another thermal pad 30mm wide by 150mm long attached to the heat cooling pan mounted atop the digital board. All other thermal pads inside the machine could be cut from a single 100mm square pad. To me that just screams H-O-T on the digital board. Its also the board centered in the top of the lower belly pan between the 2 viewing windows and I'm sure why the belly pan runs so warm with that ginormous thermal pad in contact with and sandwiched between the board and the belly pan!

Your numbers look a little warmish but nothing that I'd raise an eyebrow over if DPM is off. A little too warm for my preference with DPM on tho not threateningly so. The analog board seems hotter than I remember others but again, not dangerously so and since DPM can easily be a 10 degree difference I'll wait to hear further from you. Some have said these units run cooler when vertically mounted. Mine runs almost identical internal temps vertical or horizontally mounted. However my upper two quadrants run significantly higher external temps when mounted vertically then the same two quadrants mounted horizontally (measured with an infra red thermometer or surface probe).

BTW I got the male IEC out of the Devialet over the weekend. Now debating if I want to go ahead with the 20A Furutech FI-33 Rhodium replacement while in there and eliminate the nasty Schurter filter. I've NEVER met one of those I liked or one that ran as quiet as no filter whatsoever there! I'll be surprised if you can get it out without removing the primary PCB as you need to get at it from above & below without a special tool which I'm sure Devialet has. But necessity being the mother of invention and you being a resourceful guy I wouldn't bet against you!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 05-Aug-2015, 02:48
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 09-Aug-2015, 18:41
RE: PSU & Cover... - by thumb5 - 10-Aug-2015, 20:15
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Rufus McDufus - 09-Aug-2015, 20:44
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 10-Aug-2015, 20:43
RE: PSU & Cover... - by kenreau - 10-Aug-2015, 23:25
RE: PSU & Cover... - by f1eng - 11-Aug-2015, 18:07
RE: PSU & Cover... - by kenreau - 11-Aug-2015, 21:06
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 11-Aug-2015, 01:03
RE: PSU & Cover... - by kenreau - 11-Aug-2015, 21:02
RE: PSU & Cover... - by Manoet - 12-Aug-2015, 00:22