Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermal Pads...
Got the thermal pads today. Most striking thing is weight! These guys are HEAVY! Still as soft, permeable and pliable as the OEM blues but a L-O-T heaver per sq inch! The blue pads are advertised as using ceramic particles suspended in the matrix. The ice caps don't say what they use for conductive transfer medium but judging from the gray coloring my bet is it will turn out to be aluminum powder, silver powder or a combination of aluminum/silver powder. Both great conductors tho silver is to be preferred by an overwhelmingly large margin... over twice the efficiency of aluminum! And due to weight (not to mention cost) of pads silver could easily be the sole medium as these pads are just simply far to heavy to only have aluminum be suspended in them. A solid sheet of 1.5mm thick aluminum 100mm square would weigh less than these. But I'll weigh em for sure as I remember embarrassing myself last time on the possibility of the Devialet case being brass as it felt too heavy to be aluminum.

Too late for me to do pics tonight as UPS only got here 15 minutes ago and I'm getting ready to go out to dinner. I want to do some comparative heat transfer speed testing tomorrow between these and the blue pads and report what I find here and I'll include some pics in that thread.

Till then...
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 10-Aug-2015, 17:57
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Pim - 11-Aug-2015, 11:21
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 11-Aug-2015, 14:56
RE: Thermal Pads... - by warpeon - 11-Aug-2015, 15:17
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 12-Aug-2015, 15:38
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 14-Aug-2015, 14:53
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 15-Aug-2015, 01:14
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 15-Aug-2015, 18:08