Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need your recommendation on speakers for Devialet 120
Jumption,

I also have a D120, so I'm starting with this as a common .... starting point.

The thread that Confused suggests is very valuable. But as I am in a state of persistent wondering about speakers, I'll jump in. It is a wild world when it comes to speakers; reading the thread on 'list your speakers' continually turns up new brands that I have never heard of, and perhaps you also will read of many speakers that are new to you. But, your list is a very good starting point. I've heard the Athom, the PMC and the Totem 1. I've heard other Focals, but I, personally, came away unmoved. The Athom is an excellent speaker, and I seriously considered buying them. I've heard the Totem model 1 and I could not live with the shrill treble and weak bass. The Totem Element series (ember or fire) are much better IMHO. The smaller PMC are really appealing and I personally have a soft spot for ProAc. I still have a pair of the original Tablettes, as well as the Opera Operettas, so I'm big on mini-monitors.

You may find something from Scansonic, or Q Acoustics that is really appealing. Your musical genre's do not suggest a need for thumping bass, so I'd suggest the Totem Element Ember or Fire, or the Athom GT1 for sure, though these do very good bass. As does the PMC 20.22 and their mini monitor gold. Sonus Faber may also have some excellent loudspeakers that would be suitable, esp on the used market. I've also heard the Revel speakers in your price range but I don't think they are equal to the Totem element series or the Athoms. It is a lot about 'flavour' in the small speaker range.

I'm currently using GamuT Phi 5 MkII's. They are not a bookshelf but are well within your price range and have a much more satisfying presentation than the smaller bookshelf speakers you mention.

Keep us up to date with your thoughts and listening.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need your recommendation on speakers for Devialet 120 - by Damon - 17-Aug-2015, 06:05