Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Remote is so dumb that it is dangerous.
Unlike you guys, who are already Devialet customers and Phantom owners; I haven't yet bitten the bullet and bought the Phantom, or even an Expert amp.
I'm here on the forum to learn and glean information before taking the plunge.

What I'm reading so far, both here and on other forums, doesn't fill me with confidence.

My understanding (I might have got it wrong) is that Devialet is a big project, with some serious financial backing and reputed to have a very large R&D budget.
Nobody makes that level of investment without having big ambitions.
So far they've delivered some stunning new technology, wrapped up in some very attractive industrial design.
There's a big advertising budget and they have an impressive, stylish and up market looking web presence, as well as very professional marketing at shows and dedicated showcase showrooms.
Now their latest PR for the US launch of the Phantom, harnesses association with and endorse by major pop stars and personalities.
The objective seems to be to create a desirable premium brand, with all the trapping that come with it.

So why do I get the feeling this is all going to blow up in Devialet's face if they're not careful?

My impression is that they are failing to deliver on all the important smaller detail, the important things that count and that can lead to a poor user experience and ultimately, disappointment.

It's one thing if audiophiles and people used to experimenting with audio kit, can find work-arounds or get used to the shortcomings; but if they start letting down people who are spending big bucks and who expect everything to work "out of the box', then Devialet will rapidly gain a poor reputation which will stick like poison.

Phantom, as a whole package, is clearly underdeveloped and not ready for market. I could argue that it has been released too soon.

Just some of the gripes I hear over and over....
No stands available at launch, then only available months later in limited numbers and then sold out.
Substitution of a promised, useable remote control, with a limited and flawed product that reeks of "Cheap". Except it is not cheap!
Set-up and WiFi problems.
Spark - under developed at launch and despite upgrades, still falls behind.
Bluetooth but no AirPlay, despite a large chunk of the target audience being very much in the market for this (particularly in the US).
Dialog build quality and overheating problems.
Poor connectivity, with limited ports.

Next?

Don't get me wrong and think I'm just here to slag off Devialet and be negative.
I really want this product to succeed and I would dearly like to replace some of my existing HiFi gear with a Phantom set-up.
However, at the moment, I am not filled with confidence and I'm not sure if I should shell out thousands of £££'s to effectively be a Beta tester for a mk1 version of a product.

Am I wrong?

m

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom Remote is so dumb that it is dangerous. - by Felix - 15-Sep-2015, 18:28