Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horizontal testing
After 5 hours of 'active' (forced air) horizontal cooling I've recorded the 2nd coolest temps yet but not by any significant margins. All specifications for cooling remain in effect, ie; 5 hours, FW 8.1.3, factory config, DPM/SAM off, 25.5C ambient, yada-yadda. The results below:

Wall Mount (passive cooling): A/D/S 29/29/31C
Desktop (passive cooling): A/D/S 32/32/33C
Desktop (active cooling): A/D/S 30/30/32C

While I'm surprised the fan didn't manage to eek out slightly lower temps I have to realize its a very lightweight fan designed for 'noiseless operation' first and foremost. Tomorrow I'll pick up the upgrade fan that's a mere 2 dB louder with a hefty 50% increase in CFM.

What I do remain entirely happy with is how close all these numbers are but even more importantly how consistent they are, how little the numbers change between vertical/horizontal, passive/active, and how perfectly repeatable they are when reverting back to a previous test. I have to believe the Devialet today is a meticulously well balanced enclosure temp-wise to achieve these temp consistencies under varying conditions.

What I'd like to do just once is get all three A/D/S temps in the high 20's. Not that I'll use it that way but simply braggin' rights... to say "I've done it." I still suspect cooler contributes to better SQ... I'm pretty sure of it in fact. But after the next 'active/horizontal' test with the higher CFM fan I'm going to throw in the towel on continued testing as I think I've pretty much exhausted my curiosities as they relate to these things... let others rule the roost at Tweaker's Corner for a change. Tho don't count me out on ever becoming satisfied, perfectly content/complacent or too comfy within my existing temp & SQ achievements. That'll NEVER happen!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 03-Oct-2015, 00:35
Horizontal testing - by hk6230 - 03-Oct-2015, 03:14
RE: Horizontal testing - by Axel - 03-Oct-2015, 17:58
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 03-Oct-2015, 19:05
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 03-Oct-2015, 23:22
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 05-Oct-2015, 19:28
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 06-Oct-2015, 01:05
RE: Horizontal testing - by rwjr44 - 06-Oct-2015, 01:52
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 06-Oct-2015, 02:26
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 06-Oct-2015, 23:58