Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog stereo operation question incl bluetooth, optical in, connection to router....
(22-Oct-2015, 22:52)MountainGuy Wrote: THANKS everyone!  Really.

Angenet, you wrote:
2- Dialog is a router... it need to connect to the Internet to be able to accept any streaming source... Yes, It  can only connect to a router via an Ethernet cable as It is not possible to access the user interface of the dialog... to possibly configure any WiFi connection... So you can only connect the dialog via a Cat6/Cat5 cable.

3- YOU can connect any source to the dialog via the optical  and you will get the sound... My connection downstairs is  simple... My TV is connected to the Dialog via Optical ..and all the HDMI source (DVD, Satellite box) are connected to the TV.. and the sound is outputted from Silver Phantoms.  One of my Sonos Zone player is connected via Optical to one of the Phantom and my C player is connected to the second phantom still via Optical... and all the sources allow stereo sound output.

AdamInHiltonHead, you wrote:
c) If your Dialogue is going to be in a room away from your Router - this is also going to be the room for your primary Phantom/s.  Thus you absolutely must place an Apple Airport in that Room.  If you can run a LAN Cable to that room - great!  If not then you use PLC Adapters to run your broadband to that room.  Even if you can easily reach it via Wi-Fi - you still need to run a LAN Cable (i.e. CAT 5, 6 or 7) OR you must run via PLC Adapters.

Questions for all....Smile

1. One says that Dialogue has to be connected physically to my wifi router.  Another says 'If your Dialogue is going to be in a room away from your Router...'    So question - does my Dialogue need to be connected to my router or not?

2. I plan to use optical output of my computer to connect to the Dialogue. If I do not connect to the internet to stream but will simply play my audio sound off my computer via optical output to Dialogue to Phantoms, do I still have to be connected to internet?  Angenet when you say that one has to connect to the internet to stream, do you mean to stream internet content or even content via optical?

I'm sure it is all very simple - apologies for my follow-up questions.

Thanks,
MtnGuy
Hi

YOU Definitely need the dialog to connect to Internet via a wired connection . SO simple answer... you need to connect  the Dialog to the broadband/adsl router... extremely important...

For AdamInHiltonHead, it may be instances where the Dialog is located in other room... one example is that you may have a network switch located in a different room where you need to connect the dialog to the switch..

For example, your router is in a living room... and there is an Ethernet switch in your office/study/bedroom.. and you want to locate the dialog in your bedroom.. in that case, you will need the dialog to be connected to that Swith in your bedroom/study/office
You may have instance where a long Ethernet cable is run to another room to extend the network...

But the ultimate answer is yes... DIALOG NEED TO BE WIRED  to any network devices with access to the Internet.

Yes, the source connection via Toslink cable will always play without the need of internet... My CD player is connected to the phantom via Tosklink.. and I play my CDs with no problem...

Think of the Phantom as a AV receiver/AMP and speaker combined...

The internet is for Streaming from internet sources such as Tidal, Qobuz, and for firmware upgrade...

Hope the above answer those questions
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dialog stereo operation question incl bluetooth, optical in, connection to router.... - by angenet - 22-Oct-2015, 23:20