Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of Phantom, December 2015 (new owner questions)
Hi All,

I am new here on the forums and am looking to purchase a pair of Phantom Silvers with Dialog and Remote.

I've tried to read as much about known issues and found the posts on these forums invaluable.

If I may, I would like to ask opinions of owners who've had their Phantoms for a good amount of time if the following issues i've read about are serious. As i've read about these issues as far back as January 2015 and it is end of year now, hopefully some or all of these issues have been addressed with either new hardware revisions or firmware updates:

- Are the reports of Dialog running "hot" a serious "problem", or normal operating temperature? I've read some posts indicating this is a serious issue, while others have mentioned a FW update seems to have reduced the operating temps. I just am not sure what is the official Devialet stance on this.

- Reports of hiss at low volumes seems to have been corrected or significant;y reduced with the last FW updates. Is this a problem everyone has to suggest FW is the issue, or if it is only some users having this issue, perhaps it's a manufacturing issue?

- Have Devialet introduced running changes to the Phantom to improve it's performance/reliability? How can I tell if the Phantoms I will purchase will be from an early MFG date or later...by serial#?

- I read that FW updates can significantly alter the sound quality. Is this something that can be reverted if you prefer the sound prior to an update?

- I keep reading how unstable Spark has been since introduction until now. Is Spark still unstable to the point of rendering the Phantoms a hassle to play music through? Are there ways to bypass Spark and simply stream music direct to the Phantoms such as connecting an AirPort express via toslink and using AirPlay?

- Are there any reliability issues to keep in mind?

- I read that the Phantoms constantly stay on as there is no "standby" mode. Is there any issue using an external power switch to shut them down when not in use?

And some questions on customer service please:

- With the 45-day trial, it seems there is no issue to give them a go in home. But I read from one user they had a nightmare actually returning them for a refund. Has anyone had experience with the return process?

- Any experiences with warranty repairs? Good/bad?

If there is anything you can add to help a new owner, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
State of Phantom, December 2015 (new owner questions) - by kameraguy - 27-Dec-2015, 06:16