Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet AIR working (mostly) on QNAP virtual server...and a few questions
(29-Jan-2016, 07:22)markush Wrote: Why don't you use JRiver on your QNAP NAS?
This has been released recently and provides the best audio performance. You are also able to play any (high res) format.

That is a great idea and does actually work...but I'm sold on ROON.  The music discovery experience and interface is better than anything I have ever used.  

I ended up purchasing a NUC, the Intel 5i5RYK, which is the slim form factor variant.  I installed 16GB of RAM on the NUC and a Samsung EVO 250GB M2.SSD.  The NUC is running ROONServer and AIR on Win10 64 bit.  Connections from the D200 and NUC are via ethernet to a router.  The QNAP storing the music is also wired to the router.  I downgraded the QNAP to it's stock 4GB ram specification and used the 8 GBx2 DIMMs in the NUC instead.

Firstly, the NUC is absurdly quick with absolutely zero lag interfacing with ROON over wi-fi.  Music plays instantaneously and library/TIDAL browsing is slick.  I've had it playing overnight with a variety of file formats including DSD and high res FLAC.  No issues so far but, knowing AIR, that could change at any moment.  

Thank you to all for the advice on setup, particularly to Gary who gave me the hope that this setup MIGHT work for AIR.
QNAP TS-453 > ROON on Intel NUC 5i5RYK running Win10 > AIR ethernet to D200 via router > Focal Sopra No 2

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devialet AIR working (mostly) on QNAP virtual server...and a few questions - by El_Duderino - 30-Jan-2016, 20:18