Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
Why "not quite the same"? The key difference is that I experience a 100% switch from normal music to white noise, rather than "music still discernible in the background".

Regarding your specific queries:
a) My AIR buffer is set to 2000ms. (this is set in the "advanced" section of the AIR GUI, look for the pad lock symbol) Why not longer? I have found if set higher AIR ALWAYS shuts down in about 5 seconds with 24/196 files. I think AIR or the Devialet itsef simply runs out of memory. Why not shorter? No real reason, just a hunch that longer is better.
b) PC is connected to a router, the router is hard wired to a switch box, the switch box is hard wired to the Devialet, as well as smart TV, Bluray player etc.

With regards to Thierry's comment, I always think "the problem may be" is IT speak for "I don't know"..... However, it has given me a thought......

I never had this issue with my old Windows Vista PC. Futhermore, I don't think I had this issue with my current Windows 8 PC prior to setting up WASAPI on Jriver. I have had this problem with iTunes before setting up Windows Audio Session. So what's changed and when? I think this could be related to the Windows sound card GUI. i.e. changing to exclusive mode to allow WASAPI to function. I might try switching this off and using iTunes direct, and see if the problem goes. The problem is that I have run the PC through the Devialet for maybe 5 hours or more before this the white noise issue occurs, so it may take a while to establish if this is the culprit.

Another thisng I might try when I get time, is to hard wire the Devialet direct to the PC via Ethernet, this would then rule out the router and switches as a problem.

(30-Jun-2014, 13:55)Confused Wrote: Why "not quite the same"? The key difference is that I experience a 100% switch from normal music to white noise, rather than "music still discernible in the background".

Regarding your specific queries:
a) My AIR buffer is set to 2000ms. This is set in the "advanced" settings in the AIR GUI (shown with a lock). Why not longer? I have found if set higher AIR ALWAYS shuts down in about 5 seconds with 24/196 files. I think AIR of the Devialet itsef simply runs out of memory. Why not shorter? No real reason, just a hunch that longer is better.
b) PC is connected to a router, the router is hard wired to a switch box, the switch box is hard wired to the Devialet, as well as smart TV, Bluray player etc.

With regards to Thierry's comment, I always think "the problem may be" is IT speak for "I don't know"..... However, it has given me a thought......

I never had this issue with my old Windows Vista PC. Futhermore, I don't think I had this issue with my current Windows 8 PC prior to setting up WASAPI on Jriver. I have had this problem with iTunes before setting up Windows Audio Session. So what's changed and when? I think this could be related to the Windows sound card GUI. i.e. changing to exclusive mode to allow WASAPI to function. I might try switching this off and using iTunes direct, and see if the problem goes. The problem is that I have run the PC through the Devialet for maybe 5 hours or more before this the white noise issue occurs, so it may take a while to establish if this is the culprit.

Another thing I might try when I get time, is to hard wire the Devialet direct to the PC via Ethernet, this would then rule out the router and switches as a problem.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by Confused - 30-Jun-2014, 13:55
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58