Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air & Devialet memory (technical)
(04-May-2015, 13:04)f1eng Wrote: Air version 1 was Mac/iTunes only and once de-bugged worked brilliantly. Apparently too many potential customers were anti iTunes, or Mac or both and it was completely re-written as version 2, which only shares the name not the concept, is universal and has not been satisfactorily de-bugged yet.
Very much not a case of "the customer is always right" IMO!

OTOH sending data down a wireless network is what wifi does and the idea that "common sense says it won't work" is technically ridiculous. Sorry.

No need to apologise! I was actually talking about wired Ethernet so I suppose I was being even more ridiculous.  Blush

Perhaps you're right. It's just that sending data down a network is what they're designed to do, but Devialet in their wisdom have decided to use their own mechanism and in doing so have chosen very small data packets in a time critical situation with a small buffer. To my mind, that just dramatically increases the chances of problems. If there are these alleged timing bugs within core parts of osx and windows causing problems, using larger data packets would surely delay their onset?

I'm just clutching at straws. But what I do know is it doesn't work! Certainly not to a level I'd expect to accompany a £6,000 amp/dac. I might be more understanding if the product had only been released a few weeks ago, but....

For what it's worth I prefer the soundcard approach as I can stream qobuz too - interestingly even at the same time as itunes. Yesterday I was thinking I'd bought quite an experimental album until I realised I'd hit play in qobuz while itunes was playing.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
Air & Devialet memory (technical) - by amabrok - 03-May-2015, 19:02
RE: Air & Devialet memory (technical) - by Hifi_swlon - 04-May-2015, 16:04