Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers
Sam 1, Magico Q1
I've spent several hours today experimenting with SAM profiles on speakers that closely mimic my DIY spec speakers. When I built these speakers I intentionally went after the Magico Q1 specification. My design goal was to "at least" match it and top it wherever possible and I succeeded in every aspect. Matched frequency response exactly, beat it in sensitivity. Matched it in internal volume and beat it in mass/weight 60 vs 68lbs.. While the Q1 features a 7" Nanotec woofer/driver and a beryllium tweeter my NADA's feature a 7" ScanSpeak Illuminator underhung paper woofer with neodymium magnets and largish voice coil with 9mm excursion that more closely mimics a 10" woofer. Both deliver 32hz. Tweeters between the two speakers while different manufacturers are both ~1" beryllium mine again ScanSpeak Illuminator and Magico's is unknown to me. So of course the Magico Q1 was the first SAM profile I copied but not the first I tried. But before I get into results let me bring you up to speed on the 2nd SAM profile I tried first and why.

SAM 2: Crystal Cables Minissimo
The reason I opted to try this profile first will be immediately obvious, ie; it uses exactly the same woofer/tweeter I use, is a reflex design of approximately the same internal volume. Simply put, it is hands down the closest match to my speakers as that relates to actual components used and I felt safest to use it as my jumping off point.

Any guesses to how this is going to shake out? I think you're going to be surprised. I certainly was. Gape-jawed is a more apt description.

I'll save the best for last and start with SAM 2: Biggest perception was a smaller sound stage followed by an overall smaller sound. As if I had turned watts down from 200 to a buck fifty or so and every singer and instrument had shrunk by 25% or so. Still that highly detailed Devialet presentation sparkling highs and smooth, articulate mids and taut utterly controlled bass. To achieve normal listening levels I had to bump the volume 20% from -30/-32 to -23/-24. No accompanying weirdness whatsoever. No static, hiss, crackling or pops etc nothing threatening or ominous sounding. Totally black noise floor. In fact zero negative or extraneous noise. 100% as refined as when running no SAM... just smaller. When turned up to compensate for its diminutive SQ it got louder but still perceived as smaller with less power. It lacked richness and fullness.

Now here's the treat: The SAM profile for the Magico Q1 is a keeper! But I'll still continue to experiment with this as its just too friggin easy! But Q1 made my 2 week old 200 sound better than ever! I mean a whopping increase in everything positive. Lows, mids, highs, sound stage etc although noise floor simply cannot get any blacker. But its more lively, transparent, more refined tone/texture, delicacy with increased realism and transparent-to-source!

I only allowed 30 minutes audition for each profile tho I'm back on Q1 as I write this. Oh and all this using 7.1.3 beta FW. I'm gonna be real disappointed in myself if after trying a a couple dozen different profiles that I don't find a really awful one in the lot. I somehow thought if I chose a wrong one my XO's would short & melt or I'd shred a woofer or shatter a tweeter. None of that happens and so far nothing even sounds really bad... just impish in the case of my 1st attempt. Can't believe I waited so long to try this! But I'm going out for a ton-O-SD cards tomorrow! I'm gonna play with every speaker's SAM profile that's anywhere near the same zip code! Its just good clean fun! With the simplicity of doing this I can even see using this as a tweak for a specific desired result, ie my rock SAM, jazz SAM, orchestral SAM, bad recording SAM, great recording SAM etc. And even if that didn't pan out I'm having the time of my life just playing!!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers - by Manoet - 10-Jun-2015, 22:45