Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers
(11-Jun-2015, 16:56)Manoet Wrote: Thanks and no worries Jean-Marie, I'll keep going tho I did get a chuckle from f1's implication that I was simply getting some 'bass-boost' effect and nothing more. As a nigh on 70 year old man who's been deeply involved in audio for just shy of 5 decades and doesn't use so much as a sub with my bookshelf speakers, or run my Devialet eq settings higher than zero/zero I find it insulting he might think mere bass boost or some 'loudness button' effect would blow a lot of cool breezes up my skirt. Silly man!

Silly man here.

SAM profile is applied below 200Hz, I believe. The changes you are enjoying are a change to the amplitude and phase of signals below 200Hz, which will mainly be a boost but the timing will change too.

I don't say you don't enjoy it, just that it can not be actually accurately correcting the speakers you made, just giving a bass amplitude and phase shift.
It isn't like a loudness button, which, properly implemented, alters high frequencies too.

If you enjoy it and find it an enhancement that is fine.

My concerns would be the same as those of Jean-Marie of damage if applying a SAM profile wildly inappropriate for your speakers.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers - by f1eng - 11-Jun-2015, 19:06