Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible new competitor to the 800?
This new integrated amplifier from Gryphon has caught my interest. 

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/products/int...o-300.aspx

I particularly like the power rating in a single chassis architecture: 300W x 2 into 8 Ohms, 600W x 2 into 6 Ohms and a massive 950W x 2 into 2 Ohms! With a capacitor bank of 64,000 microfarads per channel it shouldn't have too much trouble driving pretty much any speakers out there.

The price point is interesting: €12,800 for the basic integrated amplifier and €4,800 for the DAC module which is supposedly based on their Kalliope DAC design, with support for PCM up to 32/384 and DSD x2 via USB and PCM 24/192 via AES, optical or RCA. There is also an MM/MC phono stage which sells for €4,800. If you just went for the DAC that would make it quite a bit cheaper than the 800 which retails at €22,900. 

Given Gryphon's high-end audiophile pedigree my guess is that this will sound very good indeed and should be worth a listen. The specs certainly look very good.

I understand the first two production runs have completely sold out and the first units are shipping in September.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
Possible new competitor to the 800? - by GuillaumeB - 18-Aug-2015, 14:07