Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2-3 week inspection & PSU temp comparison
As promised early-on I'm about to go internal on the D200 again. This time for a brief inspection looking for tell tale indicators of anything that might not be faring well. I seriously doubt I'll find anything but it bears a careful look-see under good lighting and magnification. Performance up till now has been flawless as well as head & shoulders above what it was previously in all SQ & temperature-related categories... normal operating temps remain 29/29/30 A/D/P under all pre-established settings and run times w/DPM off in a 25.5C room. I also mentioned early on I would be going back inside the PSU since its a 20 minute procedure once belly pan is removed. Some think I've somehow "screwed the pooch" as it relates to removing so much of the thermal pad material that Devialet used when they assembled the PSU. Of course I disagree with that contention vigorously and my temp sensors since reassembly would seem to support my belief. However I'm not so dogmatic that I'm unwilling to accept the possibilities even tho I fully expect PSU temp to spike sharply as a result. To that end I'm going to identically mimic the Devialet thermal pad placement in the PSU using the superior German thermal pad material. Its counter-intuitive to me to use such a big 'blob' of that material in such a small enclosure and choking off any chance of convection cooling I built into that cover since the pad is so good at absorbing heat and simultaneously so bad at shedding it in areas where it cannot be in direct contact with a conductive surface... easily over 70% of its surface area in an enclosed housing as I'll cover the convection inlets/outlets I made in the PSU housing with aluminum tape. But I'll model the thermal pad placement/thickness EXACTLY as Devialet did and show pics of original and latest PSU undersides prior to testing. If nothing else it'll be interesting to know for sure and have data that confirms the efficacy of thermal pad en-masse (Dev's way) vs sparingly with convection (my way) to compare conductive vs conductive-convection temperature efficiencies internally as well as topically on the case top surface quadrants.

I'd like to get in & out of this over the span of a weekend but can't designate this weekend quite yet. Due to Holiday plans I must conclude it this month which dictates this weekend or next.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
2-3 week inspection & PSU temp comparison - by Manoet - 14-Oct-2015, 13:07