Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound differences between Devialet 200 and Devialet 250
(19-Oct-2015, 08:54)Stigmater Wrote: I really would like to hear your experience with Hi End brands that you compared to Devilaet and your insights about it. 

PS. Please advice if i should add another D250 (D800) how better my setup will become, the only thing my setup is missing now is better Bass control.
I don't know yet if i can afford another D250 but please advice anyway.

I've compared a Vitus SIA-025 with MPD-201 to my 800, at home in my own setup using the same digital source. That's £50k+ of electronics.

Overall I preferred my 800 although the Vitus rig was very impressive indeed. Where the Devialet was more transparent and crystal clear in its presentation the Vitus was slightly warmer and richer sounding, particularly in the midrange. In fact the soundstage seemed larger and more textured. At the time I had just started getting used to SAM so the Vitus seemed to be missing something in the lower registers and lacked the bottom end grip of the Devialet.

What I would say is that the Vitus was hugely musical and enjoyable, whereas the Devialet was more impressive... to use an analogy from computer games the Devialet had better graphics but the Vitus had better gameplay... 

What was interesting was that adding Stillpoints under the SIA-025 gave it a massive boost in terms of bass capabilities, we tried this literally the day that the Vitus gear left my house so I didn't get much of a chance to play with this. Anyway it just shows that some basic tweaking might have closed the gap in the areas where I thought the Vitus was deficient. 

I've heard a lot of high-end systems, sometimes using the same speakers as I have at home. Many on here will know that I am very keen on Constellation Audio. I've heard lots of their equipment and I am always hugely impressed. I may eventually arrange for a home demo of their gear, I think it would be very interesting to see how it compares to my 800 in familiar surroundings.

As to 800 v 250, I just don't think there's much comparison. The 800 is off the chart, performance-wise. It's not twice as good as the 250 but it's a hell of a jump. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sound differences between Devialet 200 and Devialet 250 - by GuillaumeB - 19-Oct-2015, 11:22