Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Remote Modification - adding mass
This is just FYI for those who may be interested. 

I find the Phantom Remote to be a nice little bugger except that it feels a bit lightweight for me.  At 6.5 ounces, it feels like a moderately weighted piece of plastic.  Granted, it is a beautiful design and nicely made of polycarbonate and steel but it feels like it can tip when I just gently bump it or turn the top with just a bit of push turn. Basically I have to think about changing the volume so as not to risk tipping or pushing the unit off my very narrow workspace.

So opening it (thanks Sleach) I find that there is quite a bit of room inside the base as I had hoped.  

I loaded it with some tungsten weights I had and it is 13.7 ounces.  I ran out of tungsten weight but will get more as I am shooting for 16 oz.  

I will say this - the heavier weight really changes the feel of the unit for me when I turn the knob. Quite drastically really.  It now feels like a solid chunk block of metal. The fact that the weight is at the bottom makes it resistant to tipping to moving around even if I push against it. 

Easy mod.

Messages In This Thread
Phantom Remote Modification - adding mass - by MountainGuy - 19-Dec-2015, 10:41