Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PMC26 v Sonus Faber Olympica 2
(10-Jan-2016, 20:41)Womaz Wrote: Ok this is a long shot, has anyone compared the two speakers above?
I won't go into detail as I have another thread about my speaker demos, but I am keen to know if anyone has any experience with above speakers.

At present I have the SFs at home and they are excellent, very smooth, but dare I say it lack a bit of excitement. Hard to describe what I am missing but I think it's that in your face presentation.

I love the treble in the SFs but I miss the pace and excitement of my PMCs. The logical thing would be to home demo the 26s but this may not be possible .

Am I expecting too much to have a sweet smooth sound with that in your face excitement as well?

The SFs are excellent don't get me wrong and leave my existing speakers standing, but so they should at treble the price.

Any guidance as always appreciated
My understanding is that the more you tow in the speakers the more "on axis" you get.  Therefore with the tweeter pointing more toward you should get higher end that is more 'accurate'.  Depending on how the speakers are designed to respond on and off axis it will make more of a difference in the listening experience.  IMHO it should not affect the bass but it could perhaps alter the sound stage.  I just did a measurement on my KEF's the first measurement (pink line) has toe in (I don't know the angle in degrees) where the front spike is 2" inside the back spike.  The second measurement (black line) the front spike is 4" inside the rest spike so that the speakers are point more to the listening position.  The mic only is responsive to 20KHz, hence the rapid drop at that point.  In both graphs there's basically no change below 600 Hz.  Anyway you can see flatter response with greater tow in after about 2KHz.  Not by a lot but it demonstrates the point (I think).  I honestly could not hear any difference in either sound stage or in the high end.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialet 400; KEF Reference 3; custom built Server 2012 with JRiver & Audiophile Optimizer; med grade wall socket; 10 AWG speaker cable bi-wire & un-terminated; AudioQuest Carbon USB with Jitterbug; Shunyata Venom 3 power cables.

Messages In This Thread
PMC26 v Sonus Faber Olympica 2 - by Womaz - 10-Jan-2016, 20:41
RE: PMC26 v Sonus Faber Olympica 2 - by thumb5 - 10-Jan-2016, 21:07
RE: PMC26 v Sonus Faber Olympica 2 - by Womaz - 10-Jan-2016, 21:18
RE: PMC26 v Sonus Faber Olympica 2 - by thumb5 - 10-Jan-2016, 21:27
RE: PMC26 v Sonus Faber Olympica 2 - by Womaz - 10-Jan-2016, 21:29
RE: PMC26 v Sonus Faber Olympica 2 - by Matthew - 11-Jan-2016, 02:21
RE: PMC26 v Sonus Faber Olympica 2 - by f1eng - 11-Jan-2016, 09:22
RE: PMC26 v Sonus Faber Olympica 2 - by Womaz - 11-Jan-2016, 10:02