Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Experts Empirical Knowledge Part 1
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum, but have been working in the hifi-business for nearly 30years now. I think it might be useful for all of us if mature hifi-experts share their knowledge here on certain clues or problems. So I'd like to start.

To me as a person, I've worked for a hifi-shop for some decades and I'm just now starting my own business. Many of the guys here where I live working in the hifi-business have found that nowadays it's getting more and more difficult to make a system "sing". Some even break off selling the CDPs, AMPs etc. and now explicitly specializing on tuning-equipment, because they found out that 70% or even more of the acoustical outcome of a hifi-system comes from tuning the system.  And so do I, to some degree.
Not to say that the other components are not significant important, else I would not have bought a D200 and the other stuff.

Now it's getting quiet odd for the most of you.
I think less than 10% of you have ever thougt about electromagnetic fields (electrical smog) affecting your audiosystem AND affecting You as you're listening to your music.
I investigated this phenomena over the last 6years and to me it's one of the most significant influences that harm us and the performance of our audiosytems.
Just take into account on how much the use of wifi-mobile-satellite etc. stuff has increased the last 10-20years all throwing this digital pulsed EMF into the air. Yeah, we don't see it, smell it, feel it (well, some unfortunated do)...but everyone of us can hear it.

You don't believe me? Take a chance and try the following. All of it I experienced myself. I have to say that with my tuning stuff I can alter these EMF to some degree in the customers room (no intended advertising here) and so these rooms are cleaner and maybe more sensitive to the leverage of smaller EMF. That to say these improvements might not ALL be apparent to you in your listeningroom because of it being intensively polluted with EMF. Sorry the long forerun. Now...
  • get your cellphone, tablet or else, place it just next to you and listen to your music. Then take it as far away as you can (mostly some 3-5 meters are enough), listen again. The EMF affects your body and listening skills
  • are you already into the heavy tuning and got allowed (he,he) to install a seperate powerline from your system to the fusebox of your home/flat? Well that improves the system quiet a bit. For sure you are aware of the right phase of the powerplug for your system. Here in Germany we only have 2pins on the powerplug, so we can turn the plug 180° to find out the right phase of the powerline for the component. Don't know how you can handle it. For the inexperienced: there is a huge drop in SQ when your component ist not plugged the right way to the phase of the powerline. Just turn the plug and listen.

• knowing the above, what about all the other electrical components in the room e.g. lamps, aircondition, watches, coffeemachine, etc. pluged into the poweroutlets of your listening room? Did you know that all  these need to be phased right? You can hear it when it's done wrong. For best prove just pull them all so every component not needed for listening is off the powerline. Do you hear the difference? If you can, you can plug them in one by one and turn the plug (if possible) on each round. You can hear the right direction. It might be a small difference, but it sums up.
  • switching-power-supplies are no good. Try the one that came with your cellphone. Get your cellphone charged in your audiosystems powerstrip. No good, either way you plug it. Plug it a good 3-5 meters away into an other poweroutlet. Can you still hear the decline in SQ? I bet.
  • and it's getting more odd if you read on. You can hear the right powerphase of e.g. a lamp even if it's not powered on. Try it. It's because you have one hot wire (the electrical phase) on the powerline. Case 1: The power on the hot wire goes all the way from the poweroutlet to the switch of the lamp and is cut there by the switch. That's the right way.
    Case 2: The power on the hot wire goes all the way from poweroutlet, passes the switch, goes further through the whole lamp, gets back to the switch and is only then cut off by the switch. That's the wrong way. There is voltage all the way through the cable, through the lamp back to the switch and that is causing a much bigger EMF than in Case 1.
  • if you are lucky and the electrician for your house was a good one, you can pull all the fuses in the fusebox except the ones you need for your listening system, housealarm, fridge or else necessarily being powered on. Hear the difference. Well it all depends on the installation and quality of your powerline, but it can make a BIG difference.
When you're lucky you can get rid of all the hiss and fizzle in your system and also booming sometimes when you lower the EMFs. But being unlucky you are living near a powerfull cellphone-antenna or something else polluting the powerline like a mal, had a unskilled electrician or...? Then you have to get into the tuning-equipment. And to say it clearly, shielding and filtering is, in most scenarios, not the useful way to go. Most times you are loosing the transparency/dynamic of your system when you do so.

With my listeninghabits I'm on the crystalclear-transparent-side of music I want my rig to perform. And if the system is compiled this way it is common to me that you are running into problems, especially in heavily EMF polluted areas like capital cities etc. Every transparent, say "open", audiosystem gets easily out of balance when dealing with heavy EMFs.

I like the hiss and fizzle in an audiosystem because it's a proof to me that the system has got a high resolution/transparency that is just "out of (time)phase" and wants to be fixed.
This "out of (time)phase" is mostly due to resonances of some EMF with parts of your system or roommodes (nodes/antinodes) or even with parts of the listening-system of your body (yeah, there is electricity in you). Your body gets stressed and therefor you don't hear as precise anymore as when you are unstressed by EMF.

So it might not be the tweeter of your speakers or the sometimes "digital sounding" Devialets that gets you off.

More to say, but the written's to long anyway.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
The Experts Empirical Knowledge Part 1 - by yabaVR - 12-Feb-2016, 14:54