Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just bought a d 200 - a few more questions
(25-Feb-2016, 10:50)thumb5 Wrote: I've always been hazy about what the output power restriction in the configurator actually does.  The two options I thought might be reasonable are:

1) it changes the gain of the amplifier so that a given input level results in more or less output, or

2) it does not change the gain but just limits the maximum output power

So, I asked Devialet.  They said that it's case (2), and it has no effect until the input level gets high enough for the maximum output power to be reached.  Presumably when that input level is reached, the amplifier starts compressing.

If that's right, changing the maximum power output in the configurator shouldn't have any effect on the sound quality unless/until the amplifier is driven up to the configured power limit.

Interesting.
I was hoping that if you listen for example at 1 watt that at the lower output setting the amp uses less digital attentuation compared to the full output mode. This does not seem to be the case. Still some people hear differences between different output power modes, strange!
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just bought a d 200 - a few more questions - by Duomike - 25-Feb-2016, 12:01