Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another looking to change/upgrade - suggestions?
(23-Mar-2016, 12:40)teddlesdee Wrote: I'm moving soon - the 'seat-cover' and the old goat (me), want to move closer to the off-spring as we shuffle into our twilight years!

The house we are looking at is a new-build, and I have been potentially allocated (by the boss) the dining room for my 'play-room' and office... not very big, but hopefully just enough.. being approx 12 x 9ft

Currently my system is in the kitchen of all places, but it is about 19 x 14 so quite a lot larger, and the Triangle Deltas are pretty good at filling the room with sound, especially when we get the grand-kids visiting demanding a disco afternoon... Overall, these speaker are on the exciting side and very versatile. On my own I like to listen to a wide range of music such as electronica, stuff like Himalayan/ asian traditional world music, trad jazz, spine tingling beautiful Haley Westernra (discovered from a track on Mike Oldfield's Music of the Spheres).

But... now I am moving, I am thinking I have gone so far with upgrades to the music server setup, so I feel the speakers could be improved on. Clarity, accuracy and wide sound stage are important to me, with a good bass reach for those tracks that need it, like toccata & fugue in D minor which is my all-time fav organ music.

Since I have come back to proper Hi-fi recently after 20 years, and maybe because I am a lot older, I couldn't believe how much I am 'moved' emotionally by some tracks that I have played for years on lesser systems that produced no real engagement.
It is obvious to me now that with a good system and good recordings you hear detail that transforms the experience from being mundane to spine-tingling, and I am convinced that with even better speakers, I would be able to experience & discover even more...

I blame my youngest Son (now 45) for his recent Man-cave idea, where he has (in a similar size room) a high quality ceiling projector & full-width pull-down screen, surround sound (front hif-fi speakers) rears/side/ and ceiling surround speakers built-in, a true entertainment room!

Whether I will go that far I don't know, but  first for me is the speaker short-list - Budget-wise around £4-10k max.

They need to be comfortable in a room of the size I mentioned.

German-physics, and Raidho come to mind, but looking for additional alternatives?

Suggestions, gratefully received!

Thanks

Hi, I have been in a similar situation, and didn't want racks etc, ( hence the Devialet) and speakers that would look superb - not wooden boxes - and sounded wonderful. I think I have found them ( and bought them). Just at the top end of your budget. Albedo Aptica - simply the prettiest speakers I have seen until you get into silly money territory. Italian design and "Ferrari" quality finish. And they are beautiful to listen to. Accuton ceramic drive units, sophisticated transmission line for bass and highly tuned treble. Very wide soundstage, sweet treble, not overwhelming bass (important in a smallish room) but very easy to follow a bass line. I am absolutely delighted with the looks and the sound. Only available through selected dealers. PM me if interested. Shame I'm in Lincoln as you would be welcome to listen to them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yet another looking to change/upgrade - suggestions? - by Lincolnlad - 20-Aug-2016, 22:36